Proper way to try and educate new catfishermen you meet on the river.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jul 23, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As we all know there are more and more catfishermen on our waters, we have lots of post on here about selling fish, people killing trophy fish etc.

Every year I run in to people on the river who just dont get it.

They may see me catch a nice flathead, and come running down the bank, yelling are ya gonna keep it, can I have it?? While the are wading through there piles of trash to get to me.

I looked at one guy and said NO, Hell no I release these big fish, and as he watched it swim away, he had no clue as to why I did it, as he was walking away I said I want to see it spwan and make more flathead so I can catch more fish.

But I am sure he did not understand, all he was wanting was to take that big fish to the local baitstore for a picture, then to thow it in a ditch somewhere.

Earlier this year I got down to one of my fishing spots to find 4 dead flatheads floating on a stringer, small fish they were, but why do they do this? From the looks of the ground and dozens of beercans laying on the bank they were probably to hung over to take them home,

At least they could have let them go if alive.

I know at times it seems like all I do is bitch on here, but in the past severl years, instances like this are to common, with all the new people to the sport.

Anymore it dont make me mad, it just makes me really sad, to see our fisheries abused.

I wish at times I had good news...But when I read about our boc brothers who care about the future of trophy fish, it makes me feel a little better.

To bad the masses aint like us.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    AMEN! couldnt have put any better!!! BITCH ALL YOU WANT BROTHER!!!! IM WITH YA!

3. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    as am I. me at steve have personally witnessed the slayin on several fish ranging from 23 pounds up to mid 40's. Sad deal especially durin the prespawn and postspawn periods. people just don't understand wut they're doin to the waters or they don't care one of the 2

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Some people are so entrapped in their own little worlds that they can't see the forrest for the trees. Their idea of fishing is pollute and destroy with absolutely no regard to the havoc they wreak on the environment. Unfortunately, trying to educate some of these people is like spitting into the wind because they hear but don't want to understand. Beligerent attitudes quickly escalate into full blown confrontations and you are the one who ultimately ends up on the short end of the stick. I wish someone had a surefire answer to this problem, but until that happens we'll just have to do our best to educate those who will listen and pick up the phone on those who won't. Stay safe and good fishing!!!

5. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Excellent post Jack.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Very appropriate post here Jack. I can atest that you said just about all of it in this post.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    First off you have to ask them what they think, not presume you know what they think. You can never get a meaningful discussion started by assuming you know what the other fella is thinking. To take the role of educator on, you must be able to show patients, calmness and reason. Don't try to force feed you opinions on others. Show by example, gently coax opinions and caress ideas from your student and notice where their thinking could use improvement. Never ever condemn them for doing anything that is within the law. They may not know all the law, but the one thing that they do know is that you are not the law. Education is an on going process. You wont teach a lifetime of ethics and sportsmanship in one encounter, but you can plant a seed. Remember the old saw, you can get mores flies with honey? That particularly applies here. Jump on a person for what you perceive as wrong and they will only retreat into their own comfort zone and repel any suggestions you may offer.
    Either that or slap them up side the head! And that only works if you fish with them all the time...... :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2: lmao

8. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Some people are just very hard to "reach" so to speak when it comes to things like this.It might take a slap to the head for them to "get it" so I say slap away Jack till they understand sooner or later they'll get what you mean about not killin the flats if that don't work try a big stick like walkin tall:wink::smile2::smile2:

9. joshmorgan

joshmorgan New Member

State:
    columbia, MS
    I jointed this site about a week ago, and in that short time its already changed my perspective on CPR. I use to keep every cat I caught, but after reading all these post explaining the purpose of releasing those big fish, I have learned "the error of my ways," so to say. I agree with Netmanjack on his post. If someone had come up and tried to shove their beliefs down my throat, I'd still be keepin everything I caught. Excellent post!

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Josh. Reps to ya!!

11. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i know what your saying, what realy PISS ES me off is finding ANY fish on the bank,iv found all types,i ask my self why in the f!!! dose someone do that,i dont like seeing anyone take any fish from water,but if they do it to eat them(with in reason ) i feel allright about it, but for someone to just leve it on the bank or in the weeds or just to flat out kill it for no reason is what gets me:angry: jack, it burns me up just like you, one time i told a buddy i was fishing with i felt like going home a getting one of my paintball guns and coming back and patrolling the lake for the game warden, but we all know what that would of done,( my big ass in jail ) i understand your feelings jack, just try to teach folks in a nice way, and you will open more ears

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Lucky for you Josh... I would hate to think Jack was coming to open a can of whupass on you:wink:...W

13. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Lots of knuckleheads in iowa too. A lot of the big flats are caught by people who only catch one. Most are caught by accident. I don't know what kind of regulation could help the big cats with that accidental angler. They don't know how old or irreplaceable that fish is and suddenly it's out of the water for 1/2 hour and game over. The accidental angler also doesn't know how hard it is to catch one on purpose. Things that aren't hard to do have little value.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I try to thank that god created us all equal, and I aint any better than anyone else.

But LORD! The type of people I see hanging around the river banks anymore are a site to see, if there is such a thing as white trash, they have all moved to southern Ohio.

15. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    your right,but most people with respect and gratitude for these fish are being outnumbered......:sad2:

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mace works pretty good Jack :wink:

17. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree with most everything said here. I too agree that we should let the larger fish go to breed. CPR so our childrens children can catch big cats. I have written up some rules that will be posted on my boat when I get back, and everyone who boards the boat will have to read them, if they don't like them they can get off before we get out on the water. Rule no.1 Every fish over 10 lbs will be CPR. You can keep as many eaters(2-10lb) as you want, with in reason. i laugh at people that have stringers of cats under 1 lb. How much meat are you going to get from them.

The thing that really pisses me off is where I bank fish. There is always trash there. I have one spot I got to alot after work, I clean in up one day and a few days later it is trashed again. Its not that hard to clean up after yourself.

18. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Complacency and stupidity go hand in hand. As far as 'white trash' goes , where I fish , I see an entire spectrum of trash , from the idiots who walk up beside me and cast across my lines , to those who take the 'ultimate plunge' from bridges and the drunks who came to 'fish' but really just sit and either harass , annoy , or chunk riprap into the water to increase losses. My spots grow farther away and more secluded , but the bullsh!t is seemingly inescapable. I've already pretty much thrown in the towel on listening to the radio , now it's looking that way for being left to my own devices on the water. Tragedy , I say , tragedy:crazy::crazy:!!!

Basically what I mean with 'trash' is it's not limited to one group , but sadly , trashy behavior has become universal.:sad2:

19. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    This whole post is all so very true an it's a sad state of affairs when the few have total disregard.

20. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    it is :sad2: the way pepple act respect is a thing of the past :sad2: