Proper Storage and Transportation of outboard

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 23, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont leave my johnson 9 hp on boat while going or coming from fishing I at this point lay it down . But it does not want to start when I put it back on boat should I be transporting it differently? Thanks

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I doubt the difficulty in starting is due to it's laying down. One way to insure your not flooding the carbs or doing some such thing is to disconnect the fuel line or turn off the fuel before you kill the engine after your through for the day. This burns the fuel out of the carbs so nothing could be flooded and if you don't use it for quite a while, it won't gum up in the carbs. But, seriously, I'd look for other issues in its not starting.

3. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree with AwShucks,
    Growing up we hauled our 16' narrow jon in the back of our full szie stationwagon and layed the old 68 Evinrude 9.8hp in the middle to help balance the back end of the boat that was hanging out the back of the car.
    Now we did always disconnect the fuel line and run it dry before packing it up for the trip home.

4. Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy New Member

State:
    Modesto, Ca
    Running the motor out of gas is a good idea, UNLESS, you have a motor with a Fich(sp) oil system. The gas will be burned out of the carb, but, the oil continues to flow. It can fill the carb with oil and makes it a lot harder to start the next time you want to use the motor. Don't ask me how I know this.................:embarassed:

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It seemed the last time I stored it this way , it wouldnt start and I pulled plugs and they were dry, I had pumped gas thru with bulb and it was tight, then I took gas line off and squirted gas into carb and it fired right up like it used to do until I started laying on side?