Proper Rod Placements For Boat Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 11, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I recently answered a great question on another thread about bait and rod placements. The question if I remember right was how do you know, or place your livebaits out. Here is the method that I try to go by when night fishing flatheads from my boat on the river.. First of all I always carry a variety of baits.. small bait such as warmouth, greensunfish, or chub/suckers..I also like to have some baits that are alittle bigger with me like bullheads, or big pond bluegills.. And lastly, I always bring what I consider big fish bait, a few monster baits ranging from 8-15 in. these usually being either carp, small or largemouth bass or even larger bullheads, larger gills, etc. I have 5 rod holders setup on my boat.. Alot of the placement of the baits obviously has to do with what area im fishing. But, here is a general idea for the baits what I try to do.. Smaller baits get placed on the longer rods I own. They get casted to the farthest desirable spots... I try to stagger these different species as well, not because I think flatheads have a preferance. I truely believe if it is indigenous and lively a flathead isn't gonna look at one bait and say no, and swim to the next! lol.. Because, I think some baits give off more vibration to attract. And, some give off more scent. Ex. I would throw a greensunfish, next closet out would be a shad or chub.. The reason the smaller baits get the longer casts is solely because, usually these have more hook gap exposed, and longer casts are more difficult for quality hooksets due to more line to cover! I would rather have a small bait to set at a long distance, than a 14 in. bass.. Make sense? So, after I (we) have these baits out, we bait the larger to largest baits closer to the boat. I like to fish the largest of my baits close to the banks. I am a firm believer that quality flatheads cruise the banks at night. We have caught numerous big fish in a foot or two of water close to the bank.. So thats my preferance.. I obviously cast my rods so they aren't in immediate danger of tangling together if a fish would run. So I leave adequate space between casts... This is what I do, does anyone else have a system for flatheads that work for them, or you simply like to fish? goodluck....rollo

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    thats allmost exactly what i do rollo i allways have a cut bait out also and if its where i can use a rod or 2 with a float i like ballons. i tightline my cutbait with a 3 way rig to keep the cut bait a foot or so off the bottom but like to use my bait clickers with live bait. if the channel cats leave the cutbait alone i like to use baitclickers on them rods also if i have a partner in the boat with me if not tight line with circle hooks works great for cutbait. ive learned to tilt my motor up before i ever throw a rod out also when fishing by myself lost a few before without doing that and they get around the motor and brake off. great thread rollo wish we lived closer be great to fish with you and skip. i truely love flatheads ( fresh water shark fishing ) they are mean !!!!!

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Are Bass legal for bait in your state?????:eek:oooh:

Not legal in Missouri I don't think?

Where's Marty?MARTY!!!!:ah:

Marty, didja get that?

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    As long as its been caught by R/R

5. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I think you need to check where you are fishing and make sure it's a legal size bass. The game warden in our area says if you are fishing with an under size bass he will ticket you for it.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I usually use the same method, the boat I have is a 15 ft 6 inch old tri-hull, that I primarily have for flathead fishing the big lake around here, definatley not river worthy. All of my rod holders are off the back mounted on a bracket. I would do the same thing and cast the bigger baits closer just so I didnt throw one off by mistake, and the smaller bait I could put a little more mustard on it...:wink:..I am thinking of changing it up this spring if I have that boat still, and mount the rod holders on each side, its such a small boat that might make more sense. Especially when I am back in those deep dark coves at 3am, its better that way because then each guy has his own side of the boat. Hope I didnt get off topic there...

7. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Never fished flats off a boat yet. This will be my first year. But when bank fishing I use pretty much the same idea. Put smaller baits out farther and big heavy baits that you have to hook deeper in closer. I'm with rollo i belive alot of nice flats cruise the banks at night feeding.

8. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I have a 14 ft boat with 8 rod holders staged all around the boat. If I'm fishing a wood pile near the bank I'll put one bait at the end of the wood, one right in front and one close to the bank. If I'm fishing a deep hole I'll set the boat perpendicular to the current with two anchors and fan out my rods. Again, throwing one towards the bank. The bait I use the most is bluegills, goldfish, and chubs for flatheads. I'll also bring cut bait as well.

9. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Can't wait now that i actually got a boat to fish the river in and get out and find out more about the waters i have been fishing and hopefully put it to use and find other holes with the same set up and find some bigger fish.

10. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    It depends on where the bass was caught. If caught out of waters with no length limits it does not matter the size. If the game warden sees you catching a short bass out of place with a limit and then using it you would be busted. If you catch them out of say a private pond where there is no limit there isn't a thing he can do. And yes in Ohio we can use any forage or game fish as long as it was caught be legal means for the species.

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hmmmm, Sounds like the same way Jason, only thing i/we do add is that don't over look just reeling in the line a foot or two ever now and again, seems that sometimes parks it in the sweet spot. And I am so glad to see others agree with the shallow water fishing on the flats!, have had so many people around here the past years ask where there hitting and we tell them to try the shallow along the banks, they just look at ya like your crazy..... I figure oh well more fish left for me to catch then. Great write up as usual Rollo.
    Randy

12. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    He told me it did not matter where you say you caught it, you can't prove that. He can prove you have an under size fish tho. It's all about revenue for the state.

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    all of my largemouth come from private ponds, and the smallies are caught on rod and reel as well out of the river..they are a great bait...you all should try one this year sometimes.. a flathead will hit them as hard as any other bait i used if not the hardest...rollo

14. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I think X Smokin Joe is correct ... The law reads "that you can't POSSESS" any fish that is under the legal size limit. Having been a Game Warden, I can assure you the Game Warden wouldn't care if it came from your aquarium in you den ... he would give you a ticket. Like Joe said, the Game Warden doesn't know where you got it ... just that you have it in your possession illegally.

15. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I didn't want to sound like I am against using smallmouth as bait, I love to use them. I think they are one of the best baits. I wanted to point out you need to be careful where you use them. In the Maumee River we have posted size limits from the lake to the first dam and I will only use them above that dam.
    The reason for that size limit came about in the past 10 years. Used to be I could go down and catch 50-100 smallmouth in a day weighing up to 5 lbs, and release them all back, but now so many people found out the fishing was so good and they kept everything they caught you are lucky to get 10 in a day none weighing more than 2 lbs. Havn't seen a 5 lb bass come out of the river in about 5 years now. Something to remember when bragging where you catch your fish.

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    This is where your Fishing laws booklet comes into play. They are supposed to supply you with one when you buy a liscense. READ thru it! Most every body of water in the state has some sort of limits on bass, crappie, ..etc as to size limits, or slot limits, or creel limits.

This means if you bring a bucketful of 5inch bass for bait, to a lake with a 15inch minimum on bass, you will probably get a bucketful of tickets lol.

It is not illegal in this state to use crappie, large or smallmouth bass, channel cats,perch, walleye, pike, bluegill, or anything else you can catch on a rod and reel for bait. Just have the correct size in your bucket for the body of water you are on. And do not go over the allowable quota per day.

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im not trying to incriminate myself or anything like that. i will read the book soon. maybe i am an illegal law breakin dude.. but, i think some of the laws that i have already read in the book are poorly stated, and can be interpreted different ways... maybe its me... i am just smart enough to keep from sh*ttin myself!!! lol...:smile2: rollo

18. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Rollo you are not breaking any laws that I can find unless you have more than 5 largemouth, smallmouth, or spotted bass in one day. There is no size limit on the muskingum for bass.

19. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Prostreet we'll put ya on some big ol flatheads on the river bud...GUARANTEED:wink:

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    there you go.. if you guys fish that river for flats, like you do for blues, there is no doubt you will have a good year! i only wish i lived closer to it myself...rollo