proper line for a spincasting reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Bammbam, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Bammbam

Bammbam New Member

State:
    Indiana
    E'villeman bought me a small crappie spincasting reel but we cant seem to find the right line to use..any suggestions?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The rite line would be in the paramiters of what the reel is disigned to hold. Also insurein that ya put the line on properly. As far as what line. Thats a personal preference decision.

3. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    small like 4-6 lb. test.

vaughn

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Go with something light spincasters (most of them) don't handle heavy lines well. Try Berkley XL or Sufix Elite 12lb -17lb depending on how big your spincaster is.

5. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    The line pick-up on spin cast reels is usually a minimal protrusion at best, so a larger line (on the small end) is generally more effective than lighter thinner lines.
    Angel's recommendation is pretty much right on. If you'll notice most spincast reels come from the store spooled with #8-#10 on the small crappie reels and #12-#14 on the larger reels. It's just more "meat" for the pick up to engage.

If you want to fish a lighter line, just use a light leader.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i prefer a good braid on my spinning rods, spiderwire seems to work great. I like to get the 10-20lb test but set the drag more in the parameters of the rod not the line. Make the drag slip with 2-4lbs of resistance and you should be safe.
    I have a spinning reel by abu garcia that i use with berkly lightning rod. It is a good combo that i use for slipcorking channels. The rod and reel both are designed for 6-10lb test so i got the 20lb test spider wire that is 6lb diameter.

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    oh....sorry, i just saw that this was for SPINCASTING reel. I no next to nothing on these.