Proper Handling

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by SURFPREP, Aug 27, 2009.

1. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    I should know the answer to this but!

I caught a 5# blue on the Ohio River bank fishing. I normally grab the cats behind the gills. Took a couple of minutes to take a picture. When I tried to release him in shallow water, I laid him down in the water but he wouldn't budge. Finally had to step in the water and push him out into deeper water before he responded.

Obviously I am doing something wrong.

Constructive criticisim accepted.

2. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

I would imagine hands in our pressing near the gills is hard on any fish and especially stressed out, oxygen deprived catfish just hauled in from deep water and a tough fight. In general blues and bigger fish may be sluggish to take off and may need burped or swished around in the water to get them ready to go again. I try to handle a fish in a quick manner and try to preserve the slime coat....get the hook out, take the picture and get them in the water....sometimes if multiple fish are coming this goes a little slower than I would like. To hold the fish, I almost always put on hand in the mouth and one cradling their mid section to support them and put less stress on them. Blues can do a number on your hand as well as channels...but i am used to it, some people prefer fish grippers or lip grippers for this reason. Hope this helps, and someone else may have a better, more knowledgeable answer even.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Don't touch the gills on any fish you intend to release.

4. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    Just want to make it clear that I don't touch the gills. I'd say I touch them about 1 inch behind the gill.

Thanks for the valuable input.

5. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    well the big one's you cant lip it, like you would a bass, but before i got my lip grips,i would net them, lay it on the ground, get my hook and put it back in the water, while in the net,if they are stressed out from being pulled in i'll litely get there tail and push and pull them till they kick free, so if you have to handle them i would get there lower lip,the whole lip and raise it strait up,and hurry up and get it on the ground to get your hook,shoot a pic and do the same thing to get it back in the water:wink: make sure you hurry while you got them in the air b/c droping them ant good, and them teeth can chew you up fast:smile2::smile2::cool2:

6. kingkat82

kingkat82 New Member

State:
    Central KS
    I agree with the above post about lip gripping it. You really don't want to touch the body at all if you want the highest survival rate. I usually keep the fish in the water the whole time if possible. Also wanted to add to make sure and wet your hand(s) good before handling any fish.

On this topic I was wondering how you guys unhook smaller cats that are too small to grab by the lip and unhook at the same time.

7. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Large fish (or any fish in general) aren't used to having the pressure applied to their mid sections, so you could actually damage internal organs if you hold them by the midsection for an extended amount of time.

Fish don't leave the net until the hook is out, line is untangle, and I know I can get a quick picture. I hold them with Curtis' method though. Net 'em, take your picture, put him back. I like my fish to still be wet and clean, let's me know we did it fast. :p

/ James

8. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i always hold them by the tail and lower lip, even the one in my avatar pic, i do have mechanics hands so they are torn up anyways lol and stronger than most, i keep in net till hooks out, lip em and hold by tail for pics, i havent had any problems on releasing fish