Proper Handling of Catfish

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by SURFPREP, Aug 27, 2009.

1. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    I should know the answer to this but!

I caught a 5# blue on the Ohio River bank fishing. I normally grab the cats behind the gills. Took a couple of minutes to take a picture. When I tried to release him in shallow water, I laid him down in the water but he wouldn't budge. Finally had to step in the water and push him out into deeper water before he responded.

Obviously I am doing something wrong.

Constructive criticisim accepted.

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    sometimes they need a little reviving always push them forward or circle 8's pushing them backwards does not help with oxygen exchange and in rare cases may cause gill damage . And or coarse keep them in water and handle as little as possible .

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill its best to never handle a cat by the gills. This will kill most of them. I use a hand in the mouth and one under the belly. I mean this in a positive way not criticism. We need to do everything we can to preserve the cats we release to fight another day.

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I use a boga grip, cant remember the last time I actually touched a catfish....hmmmm I need to get out on the river more:smile2:

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    You done no wrong bro,,sometimes they just set still for a couple minutes to regroup and take off, It dosen't mean its hurt in any way.:wink:

A fish that small , I just grab right over the back unhook and pitch him back all in one motion.

Now, a bigger fish I just lip the fish and remove the hook while hes laying on the ground(still) and then release.

6. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    they always have a hard time swimming back to their home after I take the gaff out....j/k:smile2:

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Think of it like this.
    You just ran a mile and as you try to catch your breath someone duct tapes your mouth and nose for a couple of minutes.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Sometimes it just takes them a minute to get water through their gills and swim off.

9. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i usually just grab them any way that i can. ive never had any problem with a fish not swimming
    off

10. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    FOR THOSE OF U WHO DNT NO THIS... NEVER "THROW" A FISH... That's like being kicked in the head! Be gentle with fish like you would with a baby. ACCEPT WHILE REELING IN LOL

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Let's not equate "swimming off" to surviving.
    That is not necessarily the case.

Go try this.
    Go run just a 1/4 mile to get your heart rate up and have someone shut off your air supply for a coupla minutes then let you breathe again.
    By that time you are dead, brain dead, brain affected, or just a damn super hero.

12. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    to be honest i dont think you did anything wrong, only thing you need to make sure of is that you keep them out of the water as short of a time as possible. a couple of minutes is way to long. i know cat fish are tough but i treat them just like trout. if i can unhook them while still in the water i will. if i want a picture i do it quick. As little stress on the fish as possible. JMO

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like to grab them by the horns like a bull:wink: just doesn't happen often enough. Most of what I catch is way to small to grab that way.:embarassed:

14. ae_ted

ae_ted Guest

I try to catch and release, except when I want enough for a meal. Lately, I have been especially good about not harming any. Hard to harm them when you can't catch them. I would like to handle one at this point. haha. Thinking of getting some lip grabbers. What do y'all think of those and what kind are best???