PROPANE TANK WARNING

Discussion in 'Capt Steve's RV and Camping Talk' started by Capt Steve, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Beware- Meth cooks are getting the propane tanks from the tank exchange stores and emptying them of the propane. They are filling them with Anhydrous Ammonia which is used in the 'crank' cooking process. After they are finished with them they return them to the store. They then get refilled with propane and sent back for you and me to buy.

Anhydrous Ammonia is very corrosive and weakens the structure of the tank and valve. It can be very dangerous when mixed with propane and hooked up to our RV's or grills. So always inspect propane tanks for any blue/greenish residue around the valve areas. If it is present, refuse to purchase that one. The pic below shows a valve from a tank that was corrupted by ammonia.

Note: Sherwood valves contain a green coated valve stem. Additionally, a green thread sealing compound is used on some valves. These valves should not be confused with those that have been exposed to Anhydrous Ammonia.

Attached Files:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steve thanks for sharing some valuable info. Never thought of this.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the info Steve it is really sad when people do stupid stuff like this just to get high, me personally I think they all should be took to a desert and dropped off, its so sad what this world is coming to.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    dropped off with some warn lead in them.

another reason to pay a few cents more and have them refilled at the gas co.:wink:

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    slow down now. some of us live in a desert here in yuma, az. :wink: we don't want them either.
    thanks for the heads up. i take my tanks in and get refilled though. cheaper that way.
    gary

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good post, thanks