Prop vs Jet

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Gr_Cat, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Ok, I'm planning to get a new jon boat rig soon, and was wondering what your thoughts were on traditional props vs a jet drive outboard. I will be mainly using the boat on rivers that will definately have shallows and rocks. Has anyone had good luck using both a tunnel hull and a jet drive? I realize the upsides/downsides of both outboards, just looking for your guys feedback, especially if you use a jet outboard in a similar scenario as myself since this seems to be the way I am leaning towards. Thanks in advance!

2. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    I use to fish and duck hunt with a friend that had a tunnel hull Polarcraft. He had a short shaft Evinrude 40hp on it. He could go in some very shallow water. But if you are going to boat in shallow waters with a rocky bottom, the jet would probably be best.

My own experience with jet boats is if they get into any vegetation or pick up a rock in the intake grate, they must be cleaned out or they just won't go.

3. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a 07' Express 18HDDCC tunnel hull with 90 Optimax.I've had no regrets so far going with the tunnel and prop combo.I considered alot of boats,and looked at -searched web - along with talking to peaple with both prop and jet outboards also tunnel hull and non tunnel boats.As for the shallow water aspect of it on my first outing I (slid) right on by a Ranger with 1 guy on the trolling motor and 1 on the back with a push pole.The whole time they were shouting it's shallow over there!! I replied with a simple THANKS and never slacked up.AS for the tunnel I don't think it will be a bad move,only draw-back is no (pad) to get on and run for speed.Prop or Jet ??? I only can say the reason I went with the prop is I also like to go on big rivers.For me, thats the Tenneessee in northern Alabama.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You don't want a tunnel/jet combo. The jet needs a flat surface of waterfor the intake. The tunnel runs (tunnels) water higher so that a prop can be higher in relation to the transom. It depends on how rocky and shallow you go. I learned about jets in MO. but bought one for my river in Ohio. I don't know if it is fact, but I'd much rather have my jet in 12" even 6" of water than a prop. If you go jet get a Jon or modified V. I have a 40/30, wish I had a 60/40 or even a 90hp.

Each has its plusses and minuses.

Good luck in your quest.

5. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    There are many builders of outboard jets.Take ur time,and do ur research,There not all built the same,Some good some not so good.If it was me I'd go with inboard jet.Checkout

Attached Files:

6. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The river I fish would be darn near impossible to navigate with a prop. I realize I give up some speed, but I liken it to having a truck with 4 wheel drive. I can go where I want to go, and fish seem to be in the hard to reach places.

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hi Guy,
    Since I'm local, I'm fairly familiar with the rivers you will be on. Tunnel & prop will get you by on 85% of the water around here, but that 15% may keep you from going places you want to go.
    If you go with an outboard jet, just make sure it has a stainless steel impeller.
    Me, I'm saving for a jet myself, and when I buy one, it will be a Mercury Sportjet- probably in an Alumaweld Stryker.
    Once you buy one, I'll be happy to help you take the first fishing trip!
    Tony

8. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    if you plan on playing in the rocks i would go jet,and like tony said save up and get a ss impeller.i love my jet and run it 90% of the time,but i did get the lower unit to run a prop on the motor,it takes about 30 min. to swop out and the prop is alot better on the larger lakes with a full crew.

Attached Files:

9. marlin53

marlin53 New Member

State:
    iowa
    how did I lose a post

10. Big Cat Crazy

Big Cat Crazy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have heard that plays heck on jet even though they are designed to run shallower

11. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    What about a surface drive or mud motor? Get one of those and all you need to worry about is if your hull can take the beating.
    :confused2:

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Don't know a thing about the outboard jets, but my fishing partner Primitivefrn (Jim) has a River Pro boat with a inboard Mercury sport jet and the thing is awesome. We can run up the rivers over riffles and sand bars at top speeds with little worrys. No out board would even try with out being trimed way up. Gotta love it........

13. huntinflatheads

huntinflatheads New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Im not sure how shallow you want to go, but my riverpro has no problems in 4" of water. I have hit rocks, loggs, and tree stumps at full speed and it seams to just glide over them as long as they are not above the water level. I have plugged it up with weeds a few times. I can usually drive it around a wile killing the engine to get water to flow over the grate without any suction holding the weeds up and they will wash right off. It may not look as fancy as some of the other boates with a large outboard moter, but I think if its performance you want get an inboard jet.

14. russ1740

russ1740 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvaniua
    This is very interesting to me. I hope you are still a member and read my reply. Did you start with a prop and buy the jet lower unit or vice versa? I assume you have a jack plate, correct? It appears that your hull does not have a tunnel. Am I correct? What is you opinion on the benefits of a tunnel hull? Thanks so much for sharing your first post and pictures. Many have talked about doing what you did. Your's are the first pictures I have seen. I hope you are generous enough to share more of your story. Again...Thanks!!!

15. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    Tunnels are a point of uncertainty among many, you dont want to run a jet with a prop tunnel, although a properly built jet tunnel will give you mostly the benefit of getting your intake further away from obstructions that may damage it while still allowing waterflow. For this reason I have a small tunnel on my Lowe Roughneck although I dont intend on skipping across wet rocks, sometimes things happen. Also for hull type although a flat bottom will draft slightly shallower, I prefer a slight V to aid in turning and ride quality. Flat bottoms tend to slide more although you want one with a fairly flat area just prior to the transom because a big keel running all the way back can cause issues with waterflow to the jets intake. This is a situation where a tunnel would be a must have. And of course the biggest difference is the power trade off. Take a 115 Pro XS on a 17ft with prop and you may be doing 55mph. put a jet pump on that hull and you may only be running 30mph. But if you dont mind the speed trade off and burning abit more fuel, jet is the only way to travel if you fish shallow water. No worries about props and lower units. If you do get a jet, make sure to familiarize yourself with how it handles and what you can handle before getting crazy with one, even with a jet, you can get in a hurt without some experience if you push it. Reading the water is more important than any of this though if you fish rough and shallow water. Also to add on using jackplates with jets, it depends on the boat. Some boats will require one, some will not. You shouldnt have to constantly adjust either, once a jet is set up properly, it shouldnt need trimming and such to run it. Weight distribution also contributes alot to this, when going to a jet you may need to shift some weight forward but its really trial and error.

16. 6106b

6106b New Member

State:
    texas
    Look at ROCK PROOF BOATS,watch the video.