Prop VS. Jet

Discussion in 'Boating' started by bnt55, Nov 26, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I have always had a curiosity about jets instead of a prop boat especially since I fish and hunt the Ohio River. I usually go through 1 prop a year and the new one always has a few dings on it before the year is out:sad2:. I would like to be able to get into real shallow areas for duckhunting but at the same time be able to run the river like a regular prop boat. My current setup is less than ideal for shallow water fishing and hunting but at this point not sure which direction to go?

2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    they sure come in handy if you have a lot of skinny waters around. There is a lot of minus's to them, but at the same time, you can hit the waters where the props can only think about going. Comes in handy for the summer time to get away from the recreational boaters or soak somebody's ass when they try messing with me. But sometimes I do miss my prop. Been kicking around buying a lower unit and swapping them out at different times of the year. Would be nice to have the luxury of having both at times.

3. If I had the jet, it double the amount of water I can fish. I have owned props all my life and would trade for a jet in a heart beat for the area I fish. One of these days I'm getting one. I would me nice like mike said to be able to have both lower ends that you can just swap out when ya need to for different conditions.

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i've had proped boats in the past and this year got a jet and wouldn't trade it for the world, being able to run in 8 inchs of water just opened up a whole new world for me, the river system i run is very shallow and runnin at nite was a little unsettling with the prop. the only difference that i've noticed was it took a little practice with the steering at low speeds and not as much power with the jet, but i'll take that trade off any day, if your runnin in waters with lots of weeds then i'd suggest stickin with the prop

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If you just want to have a jet lower unit to swap out, check out jetdoctor .com.

BB in SC

6. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I've run both over the years, both have there strengths and weakness. At this time I'm running a Yahama 90hp jet. It gives me peace of mind in some ways and it's frustrating in others, like you I run mine on a larger river. In the spring when it's flooding and you have to dance with logs...it's very comforting, in the fall when the leaves are floating everwere it's a nightmare, it clogs every 300 yds. There are back water and sloughs here on the Mississippi that I could get to for hunting more then fishing, but you can't be deceived by the boat, it will operate in 6in of water on plane but it will not float at rest in 6in. If you run a jet in that depth of water and then shut it down....you'll be dragging it to deeper water. Control is a learned thing with jets, they are not as responsive at low speeds, at high speeds it can be over responsive ...it will side slide in tight turns. One factor today that should be considered, is fuel economy, at fuel prices nearing 3 bucks a gallon and maybe more in the future, a jet uses 1/3 more fuel then a prop for the same HP.
    Hope this helps some.

7. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Depending on the lenght of the shaft on the engine, that may not be be possible without a jacking plate, ....well, possible but not practical.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lenny stole my post!:smile2::wink: I wouldn't trade my jet for anything either! They will get you pretty much anywhere, anytime! rollo

9. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree nothing but a jet for me! I am currently running a small block chevy with a berkeley jet drive. It is very fast but also very heavy. This year I am looking to to switch to an outboard jet. It will ease your mind when hitting the shallows.

10. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    hmmm...got me thinking. thanks for the info guys.

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    just a correction....its jetdoctor.net :wink:

12. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    If you truly want a go anywhere boat get a good airboat. If you start runing air you will never look back. We run them in places you wouldn't never dream of putting any other boat.

13. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Wind chill factor ?:cool2:

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I wasn't aware of shallow water on the Ohio. On my waters I couldn't run summer without it and I flat love it. I miss the speed of a prop of the same HP but for pure adreneline rush nothing beats it. I can't run dry ground like an airboat but I have never seen an airboat that I can fish out of the back.

15. weinerdog

weinerdog Member

State:
    Florida
    Get a RiverPro. Hands down the best river boat available today.

16. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If shallow water is all you want to run in the jet would be fine I dont like the jet picks up to much trash