prop vs. jet for trolling

Discussion in 'Boating' started by wei1, Oct 29, 2009.

1. wei1

wei1 New Member

State:
    new cumberland,pa
    i currently have a prop outboard that i do some trolling with.i'm thinking about getting a jet outboard for the shallow river i fish and was wondering if there is any difference with a jet to do trolling.

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lack of control will be a problem.

3. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    yes hardrer to drive going slow

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Agree with the others. At slow speeds, I'm constantly sawing on the steering wheel. Would be a challenge.

Just a thought, if you did get a jet, many get a small kicker motor, like a 9.9 or something to troll with.

5. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    I have a G3 CC jet tunnel with a 90/65 outboard and while there are a number of pros and cons Low speed handling is down on my con list. At first you are going to over steer, you must force yourself to make small corrections and come back to center then wait for result. Speed control is a real plus I often use the motor in swift water below dams to hold position or to slip and it works great. High speed turns are something else like driving a car on ice. Boat can skid and even spin out.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You could correct some of this for the purpose of trolling with some ceativeness and some simple hardware.

You could make a real simple skeg or two with some size to it that could easily be put into position on the hull back or side.
    Just something to help it track.
    Alot of boats even propped one troll terrible. In most cases it's in the hull.
    A bass boat trolls like crap. Take a 23 foot cuddy cabin slow trolling some pogies off Atlantic Beach and she'll troll like a champ.

It's the hull. That bassboat has nothing to help it track other then the skeg on the motor.
    That cuddy has about 15 degrees of V in her hull and a skeg.

7. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Oh, baby is that right. First time you go into a high speed side slide it'll be something you'll always remember. When I first got mine I took it out on the mississippi, was runnig up a small chute and made a cut between two small islands, as I came out the other side I made a hard right. The rear end of the boat passed me up and I ended up on the bank. Thanks goodness no damage to boat or driver....but it is something I'll always remember

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009