prop - Spun my Prop!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Leftenant, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    Spun my prop today. I have a 1996 50 HP Evinrude. Anyone ever used a Hustler prop? If so, how was the performance? Instead of a pressed in hub, it has the hub and prop seperate. Wondering about the reliability. Any comments, good or bad appreciated.

2. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    it sounds like mercurys flo torq hub design.. a spline , a plastic hub they can not slip. only break the plastic part"$10" they also do that so the same prop can fit many diffrent motors, only have to get the diffrent spline insert.

3. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    On the flo torq if you break it could you lose the prop? :crazy: Or is there some kind of retainer? :wink:

4. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    no,,, if the replacable hub breaks you will NOT lose the prop, they use em up to 300hp

[​IMG]

5. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have a Merc.115 hp. outboard need a new prop. How can you tell what pitch the old one is. I cant find any numbers on it at all !! Wouldnt mind having a little more speed out of the boat. Theirs no pullin anyone around with my boat:smile2:. for fishin only !!:cool2:

6. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    hi vic,call your local mercury dealer and ask him,all he needs is the lenth of your boat,type of boat.my advise to you out of experience,is use aluminum only,as stainless steel will only damage the main drive shaft if you hit something hard ,aluminum will bend or break,stock aluminum props are alot less exspensive,than replacing a gearsetand/or drive shaft.make sure with the dealer,but i think maximum rpms on your engine is probably 5200.playing with props will cost u a engine if you get asales man just wanting to sale you a prop,if you have trim on your engine trim it up to get more speed if you can,also a clean boat bottom,waxed offers some improvement.hope this helps .larry d. grady

7. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks Larry I know what ya mean about the salesman Have delt with a couple A - holes already !! I dont want to buy a new motor !!! just want a prop for the old one !!!:angry: Thanks again hope to get the old one rebuilt for a spare:smile2::smile2:

8. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    your mercury prop will start with 48 - it is most likely on the hub underneeth your prop nut washer circling the splines,,,the very last 2 numbers wil be the pitch