Prop Size

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Gordhawk, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a 2000 Yamaha 40HP 4 Stroke outboard and I'm trying to decide whether to put another aluminum prop on it or go to a stainless steel prop. I know that the stainless props are a lot stronger than the aluminum props,but I have been told that the lower units on the Yamaha motors are not that strong and if you happen to hit something pretty solid you are apt to tear the lower unit out of the motor with a stainless prop on it. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some insight on this. Also I have a 11 1/8x13 prop on the motor now and I have been checking the net for a new prop and I'm being told that if I stay with an aluminum prop I need to stay with the same size that is on it now,but if I go with a stainless prop I can go with a smaller prop due to the way the blades on the stainless are made. Any and all advice on this matter will be taken into serious consideration. Right now I'm sitting here scratching my rear end trying to figure out what to do.
    PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!! BTW,does anyone know where the most reasonable priced props are at on the internet?
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

2. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    alumanum props are just fine for smaller outboarde that are not used for getting the maxamum ammount of speed from their boat a stainless steel prop can be made thinner because of its strength so the blades are a lot thinner and have less drag than alum, if your not looking for the utmost top speed then I would say stick with alum, especally if your going to be in some shallow areas that may get the prop rubing arround on the bottom. ebay is a good place to get used props to test out 40 hp props can be found for arround $30 quiet often

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would like to be able to get the maximum speed that I can out of my motor. Since it is only a 40 HP I definitely want to get the maximum performance that I can out of it.

4. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    then you will need to have a gps unit for measuring the ACTUAL speed and of course a tackometer to know what rpms your turning to deturman whitck dirrection in prop size to go
    there is much more intoto prop choising than just pitch, Iv been experminting with over 15 diffrent props over 2 years with my set up just to gain a few more mph,

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Glen if you fish a lot of rivers I would go alum. At the price of a lower on that motor I wouldn't chance knocking the lower out just a trade off for a little speed. You can match your prop you have now to a size comparable to a SS If you wish to but you will need the rpm range to know if the alum prop is right. I have done a ton of business with this fella and get great service with good props and price http://www.danspropshop.com/index.php

6. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Gordhawk Ive had my stainless steel prop for 2 years and im young and dumb. Hit a few things with it and its held up good. My buddy was down last weekend i brought him snagging down at Keokuk. He hit something going about 1\4 throttle with a aluminum prop he just put on and it bent it. The thing vibrated so bad going down the river you about got sick. You're wise enough to know that you cant go full blast through territory you dont know. You should be ok with stainless dont ya think?

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think I'll just get me another aluminum prop like the one I have on now,because I'm sure this is the original prop that was on the motor when new. It seemed to do alright performance wise. I don't have a GPS (yet) but my buddy has one and one day when he and I was in my boat I'm pretty sure he said according to his GPS we were going 32MPH. So,I guess that's not too bad for a 40 HP.

8. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Willard,
    I would say that 99.9 percent of my fishing is done on the Mississippi River here in Montrose,Iowa. I think I'm just going to go ahead and get me another aluminum prop like the one that is on the motor now. It seemed to perform pretty good for a 40 HP. I have a buddy that checked it once with his GPS and I'm pretty sure he said we were going 32MPH,so I guess that's not too bad. Thanks,for the link to that prop website,I''ll have to check it out and see what they have. Just out of curiosity what would a new lower unit cost for a motor like mine?

9. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't know if I'm wise enough or not Calvin. I'll tell you what really tore my prop up last summer was them damn duck blinds those duck hunters leave out there for the ice to take out. You get tangled up in some of that wire and stuff they use on those duck blinds and they will do a number on any prop. I think I'll just go ahead and replace the one I have with another aluminum one so I don't have to worry about tearing the lower unit out of my motor. I can buy quite a few aluminum props for what a new lower unit would cost me. I would like to go Stainless but to tell you the truth,I'm scared to!

10. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Glen,
    I bought a new 25 merc took it out for the first time to the blind, broke a lobe off the new alum. prop. took all of about 15 minutes to ruin a brand new prop. replaced with a stainless and 20 years of using and abusing it still works great! My thinking is if you are mostly using in waters were what you are most apt to hit is hard, like rocks, then stay with alum. if you are in water with mostly stuff that has a little give like mud, sand, and brush, i woud go with stainless. Having said all that anything will break, something to do with Murphy's Law... P.S. I just got a 40 hp Yamaha.... I hope it holds up as well as the old 25 Merc!
    larry

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i've got a 40 johnson. first four months after i moved here to yuma az, i went through four alluminum props. i went to steel even though though the local adviced not to. went to a prop shop in havasu city and told them i wanted to change over. they gave me two diferent pitched props to take out on lake and try. said to see which one worked the best without over revving. found out the same pitch as i had was the right one. still have it on and that was two yrs ago. once inawhile i need to take a file and smooth the edges a litte, but no breaks or bends. maybe cause i'm more careful of hitting the rocks? LOL but i sure love it.
    gary

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Glenn, if yours has been damaged, there is a fella that works for S.J. Smith welding supply(behind the KFC) who redoes them. Kenny Hamilton is his name,319-524-9626 is his business #. I've had him do some work, and he did alright. Later Andy