Prop Repair in St. Charles Co.

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by DWB, Apr 30, 2007.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a good prop repair man in the St. Charles County area. I "found" a nice submerged log with my prop this weekend and am in dire need a prop job and perhaps even a new prop (70hp Yamaha).

Any scoop would be appreciated.

DWB

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Fenton has a good prop repair place. Can't remember there name right now, but if you want I can look it up. Props are all they do, from little 9.9 motors to tug boats. They are located on Old Gravois Road, about 2 blocks from Denny Dennis Sporting goods.

If your damaged prop is aluminum, I would either get a new one or move up to stainless. Repaired aluminum props do not last very long in my experience.

3. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    There is a good place along the river north of St Chas. It is above that new mall with a cabelas. I exited on 170 north off 70, but cannot remember the name. It should be in the yellowpages. They do a lot of prop work. Welded and ground my steel prop. Good luck, sorry to be a bit vague. They are on the left side of road as you go north off 170 (not too far from 270). Hannibal Mike

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Another way to look at it is if you had a SS prop and hit the log... you may be out a lower unit or gears within the lower unit. Think it's cheaper to buy another aluminum prop than to repair the lower unit. SS props may be okay in salt water, but I would examine my needs real close in fresh water.

5. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    My thoughts exactly AwShucks. I'm planning on getting this one repaired AND purchasing a new aluminum prop. That way I can use the repaired prop as a spare. If only I had had a spare this time my trip would not have been cut short.

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey, Dan...I suffered the same problem earlier this year!:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: I took my prop...which was bent pretty darn bad..to Performance Prop 636.949.3121 in St Charles City...It is behind the Bowling alley that is on Droste and West Clay, right across the street from the Walgreens on West Clay. He sanded the whole thing down, welded the bent up part, then repainted it all for $55.00. I put it back on my boat and it's as good as new!! I'd give him a call, $55.00 dollars is alot less expensive than having to purchase a new prop!

7. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dan,
    I have a 75 hp. yam. and I get my props from Mike Perry at Perrys boat sales and service. Mike and Debby are good people , they have a shop at bourbon , Mo. they can have it shipped to you .
    1-573-732-5563 or cell 573-368- 8857 check out their price.
    Good Luck Paul

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I do believe that Kutter is talking about Mazco props. I have bought a couple of new ones from them, and they were pretty reasonable. Dan, if you find one cheap, let me know, I would like to invest in another prop and hub for my Yamaha 70. I run MTL alot, and if you arent in the channel, you have a heck of a chance at hitting a stump 6 inches below the water in 40 ft of water! That's one of the main reasons I want a spare!

9. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Roger that. I'm going to call around to all the shops later this week and I'll be sure to share on here who has the best deals. You are not kidding either...one second I was in 50 feet of water the next I was chewing wood!!