Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1972 16 foot lund fiberglass trihull boat with a 1985 85hp outboard. I am not sure of the prop size on the boat right now but once you get the boat to about half throttle or higher the motor just bogs out and attempts to die. Do I need to go to a bigger or lower pitch prop? I was just curious if anybody had a similar setup and could give me a size to try starting off to try? I have browsed online at the prop calculators and couldnt come up with an answer. Any help would be appreciated but if worse comes to worse, ill have to play the prop swapping game with the local prop shop

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sounds more like just a motor issue. If the prop were going to cause you a problem like that, it would more than likely happen at take off. The most load on the prop is at start. The motor too, but acting up at a certain throttle position definitely sounds engine related.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would say the problem is the main jet is plugged up in the carb. The boat can run off the pilot jet but when you crank the throttle up the gas comes from the main jet. I would take apart the entire carb and clean/rebuild it. Definately doesn't sound like a prop problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.