PROP QUESTION....... Com props.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by fishnfwl, Feb 27, 2009.

1. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Any one running a com-prop? if so would ya tell me a bit about them, Pro's/Cons of their use?
    Also keep in mind that this is just going to go on a 25 hp Merc tiller..... I have heard a few good things on them just wanted to toss this out to the masses and see what feedback if any I can get on them... Are they worth the money, time, or just a waste?
    Thanks in advance for all replies!
    Randy

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I run a Piranha composite with replaceable blades a lot of the time. As best I can tell, it's as tough or tougher than aluminum, but it does cost me a mph or two on my top end vs aluminum.

To me the advantages are that I can replace a blade for $16.50, or about $50 for all 3 blades, vs $100-$120 to replace the aluminum equivalent. Also, 3 spare blades take up less storage room than a full prop. You can also change your prop pitch just by trying different blades. There are composite props that don't have replaceable blades, but I'm not sure why anyone would use one except as an emergency spare.

Stainless steel is the other option, a stainless prop costs more up front, but it will survive strikes that would destroy aluminum or composite. A downside is that it doesn't break away, risking damage to your outboard if the prop hits something solid. Some stainless props have a hub designed to give way to protect the motor, and a spun hub is usually a cheap repair. Stainless should be best for top speed and economy when sized correctly.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If it's what i'm thinking of they work. The nice thing about them is there cheap and they do not flex like aluminum props do. The flexing is what makes you lose your bite and speed. I guess you just have to look at the water you fish and see. Would hate to hit a log and snap a blade off....

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i started runnin with a composite prop a couple years ago, and have wasted one on rocks, which is better to waste a prop than the lower unit, i have a 4 blade but mine aren't replaceable, got mine from cabelas for 70 bucks, i didn't loose any top end or take off speed, i use my aluminum prop as a spare, i think they are well worth it

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Go stainless you never go back!:eek:oooh:

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent

Until I need to replace the lower unit because that is what "gave" when the log caught the prop :smile2: