Prop pitch

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Mid-MO fisherman, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Right now I am running a 24p stainless prop on my '84 150hp Mercury. Its pushing an '84 champion bass boat. I am looking for a spare prop for this setup and was wondering if I could use a lower pitch prop. If so does anyone have any suggestions. I feel like it is a little slow out of the hole, but top end is somewhere around 60-65 I think. Its running 5100 rpms at the top speed. Any suggestions are always appreciated.

2. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Not sure what that engines max rpm is but you should always match your prop to the max rpm, like on my boat the max rpm is 5500 rpm and I have a 22p stainless prop and its max rpm with that prop is 5500. I used to have a 20 pitch on that engine and it went over redline so I went up in pitch. If you want a better holeshot and can sacrifice some speed I would say get a lower pitch or a prop thats better for all around performance such as the lazer II or something like that, or maybe you can get a 4 blade, that would do it too. On mercury's website there is a prop finder and maybe that will help you also.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    A 22 pitch would get you the hole shot and having it cupped to a 23 pitch would probably get you to max rpm without redlining. It would also be easier on your engine to be able to get to max rpm's without laboring.

Keep the throttle backed off a bit and let your engine run relaxed. It is over 20 yrs old and that's a long time for an outboard of your size.

4. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Thanks to both who replied. Just curious what you feel the max RPM should be or the max that I should run it. For a 22 yr old motor it still seems strong and starts every time on the first turn after it has fuel to it. I will definately take your advice on going easy on it. Just makes sense. Heck i'm 26 and I like people to take it easy on me too. :big_smile: