prop pitch

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by gtva, May 24, 2009.

1. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    Is there a way to determine the pitch of a propeller? My yamaha F60 ran decently with a light load, with an extra 500 or so pounds of people/cargo I can't get on plane and am about 1000 rpm below the recommended range. I know I need to lessen the pitch, but without knowing the current prop size I'm stumped. You would think the prop would have a size or model# on it, but I can't find one. Any help is appreciated.
    Greg

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    If you can't get up on plane, how do you know you're 1000 RPM under the recommended range. Sounds like you're overloading the boat. 500 extra pounds is a lot to be pushing with a 60 H.P. If you pitch down to push that much extra weight, you'll probably be way over the recommended RPM range at full throttle with a normal load. What kind of boat is it?

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    take the prop off, and look in the end.

4. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    Carolina Skiff 17DLX. Max hp is only 75, rated for max of 8 people, had 4 plus gear. With the current prop I was maxing at about 4800 rpm, but stayed on plane at about 3000. Max hp is supposed to be 5500 rpm, WOT between 5-6000, so I figure I need another 1000 rpm.
    Greg

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Sounds like you're ok on the weight with the skiff. If it's the stock prop that came with the motor, Yamaha or your dealer could tell you what pitch it is. Sounds like you need to drop down one or maybe two pitch sizes.