Prop Pitch question

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by SeanT., Sep 2, 2008.

1. SeanT.

SeanT. New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Texas
    I have an 18 foot flatbottom boat with an Evinrude 35 motor on it. My question is what would be the best pitch for this boat?
    Thanks, Sean

2. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    well what do you want out of the hole or top end I dont think I would sweat pitch on a 35 hp on a 18ft boat thats just my opinion

3. SeanT.

SeanT. New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Texas
    All I want is to fish:wink:. I really could care less about going fast or getting the hole shot. I just want to make sure I dont put a prop on the boat that may hurt the engine.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    With a flat bottom and a 35 I would start with a 15 pitch and if the rpm's are right I would adjust it with the pitch of the prop accordingly. What are you running on it now and how far below or above the keel is the anti cavation plate.

5. SeanT.

SeanT. New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Texas
    The anti cavation plate is approx. 2 inches below the bottom of the boat. Not sure what pitch the prop is now, I do believe its the original prop though. As stated above I dont really care for a fast boat, but I would like it to plane out fairly quick. We mainly use the boat for trotlining and jug fishing, but also doubles as my crappie rig when they are biting.

6. SeanT.

SeanT. New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Texas
    I looked all over the prop on the boat now and the only markings I can find are inside of it. It says Michagan(sp) then has a 6 9 or a 9 6.

7. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Sean, You might try going to Turning Point props web site. They have a prop selection guide where you type in your info and they suggest a diameter and pitch for your motor. I just bought a stainless Turning Point and the prop is perfect. At WOT with all the trim I can get with out "slipping" the prop I am at 6000 rpms, which is my motors suggested red line.

8. SeanT.

SeanT. New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Texas
    I have a buddy who's wife works for a marine shop and she got me all figured out on what I needed. Hopefully I will have her running this weekend.