Prop issue

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by goingfishin, Feb 8, 2009.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I am having a hard time finding the right prop for my new boat. I have a Seaark Procat 240 which is 24' long and 15 degees. On it I have a 2003, 200 horse Mercury 2 stroke. At first I had a unknow brand 21 pitch prop that had the rpms around 6500. It might have even went higher than that but I did not let it. Top speed with that prop was 47 mph.
    Then I tried an Appollo with a pitch of 23. It had my rpms at 5400-5600 which is rigt where I want it but the speed was only 46 mph. I have heard of 175 horse motors pushing this boat at around 60 mph so hopfully my 200 horse will get bertter than mid 40's. Can anyone help me out?
    Thanks CJ.

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville

3. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    try a 14 3/4 - 25 rpm 5500 mph 58-62

4. bassgasm2002

bassgasm2002 New Member

State:
    sc
    www.propgods.com best in the biz. if it ain't right they'll swap it til it is.

5. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    There is nothing wrong with 6k RPM on a 2 stroke. No valves needle bearings rod and mains and plenty of lubrication with pre mix. I pre mix as I dont trust oil injection. I assume this is a fuel injected engine?
    That a big heavy boat, I would suspect you need a 4 blade prop rather than a 3.

6. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    there is a website on the internet called propeller calculator, you might try looking there they give different props for all wants and needs

7. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I would probably ask the ones that have the same boat that you have. I have been through the prop issues in the past with boats. It can get real expensive at the trial and error method.

Never had good luck with the prop calculators, Every boat seems to be different, to many variables. 3 blade, 4 blade, cupping, pitch and rake, motor height ! it gets dam depressing.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yep best there is! It's who I contacted when I was in search of a prop. Lot of other boating websites say to use them as well......

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Hmm.. Interesting considering that 3 blade props are more efficient then 4 and 5 blade props. More blades will only increase your holeshot not top end speed.

10. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    oh let me count the many ways I have burned them up? imo you have to know the wieght of the boat+ HP, plus what you want top end or out of the hole? all is = to gas milage. depends if your motor is under warenty? if so go whit what ever man sepiefies. if not 6000rpms is ? the more you turn it the less time you OWN it. FOUND this out from running turbo nitriuos motors. IF its still new get whit the dealer that sold you the rig till your satisfied. this is just a personal opion. PS. I like to run my 2 stroke boat motor about 5400-5700 tops! 5500 opt. A lot is in factor.. how far the motor is in the water? IF you run a jack plate? how fast you want to plane? top end ?

11. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    I learned a really cool trick for props.. if your like some of the people I run whit and run stump fields/backwaters?? you got a good ALUIM prop... not bent ,dinged or messed up YET! .Take it off the motor or out of the new rapper. get you a 2 1/2 or 5 gal. bucket pour in massion mix,- concrete/sand whit out rocks, little water nice lose MIX.. Lube your porp weather it be spray it whit wd40 light coat of grease what ever you have on hand veg oil.? make a inpression of your prop in the mortar mix/concrete. let the inpression harden .I take this whit me fishing ..IF a fella hit a log, stump,rock, nothing that breaks the rubber center in a prop. just dents, dings, or slightly bends the prop gives you a BAD viberation ... YOU can lay the prop in your HOME MADE PROP MODLE an whit a soft hammer/beating device trailor hitch ball has ben knowen to work ( in tuff times) you can reshape your own prop no site!! IT does work quite well!! done it more than one time on the same prop, and in the same night. <what a fella will do for a darned old FLATHEAD>

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Don't know anything about props really, but congrats on the great fishing boat