prop guards

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by roughneck30, Oct 4, 2009.

1. roughneck30

roughneck30 New Member

State:
    texas
    Anyone ever used a prop guard? I have a 2006 4 stroke merc and props are through the roof high and lower units I dont even want to get into. i was just wondering if they were worth the money or just a waste of time.

2. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I put one on my 15 horse Johnson as I fish a river that has shallow gravel bars in places that ding up my prop if I hit them before I can raise my motor. All it did was take some speed off top end. I still dinged up the prop on those gravel bars. Prop guards may help you, but did nothing for me. Catfishjon

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Last weekend i fished with a trout guide that had one on his boat. He guides the upper part of white river in Ark. where rocks are the norm. I ask the man about it and he said most everyone up there run them. His was made out of round stock about 3/8 dia.

4. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've seen the Mac's River runners,and was thinking the same thing. They say it takes a little off the top speed,but if it really protects the prop,it would be worth it! Our river here is low this year,and on about every trip out,your gonna hit a gravel bar somewhere. I'm thinking about getting one (just hate to drill 4 holes in the skeg):eek:oooh: Ron http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true