Prop guard

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by KSEAMON, Sep 4, 2009.

1. KSEAMON

KSEAMON New Member

State:
    PERRY, GA
    I fish in some shallow waters (1.5 to 3 ft at times ) in the Flint in middle Georgia. I have always been very careful to not hit too many stumps, logs, etc. But still happens, second season, 2 props ruined with 40 hp Johnson and 16ft boat. Ordered a Mac River Runner prop guard from Cabella's... The best money I ever spent. Had boat in the water 8 times not a ding, bend, or nick yet! And I have hit some stuff! This thing does great on stumps, logs, rocks, and sandy bottems.

2. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I was wondering how well the guards worked, thanks for the heads up.

3. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    what about performance, notice any issues?

4. KSEAMON

KSEAMON New Member

State:
    PERRY, GA
    As for performance, before the Prop Guard, top speed of 38 mph. after it's down to about 35 mph. Good news is with stick steering I can make tighter turns. Well worth the sacrifice!

5. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Did you get the one that looks like a foot under the skeg or the one that circles the prop? I have been looking at the one that has a runner under the skeg. Thanks Frog Legs

6. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Just google the name. You'll find a picture. Does it help the motor ride up over mud rather than digging the skeg down in it?

7. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cabelas sells a Macs River Runner and a Macs Prop Saver, I'm just not sure which he has? The River Runner looks best to me! Frog Legs

8. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Yeah, Keith said the river runner, I thought the answer was more obvious than it was. I didn't know the company made two, actually. On Mac's page under the troll prop saver it says HIGH SPEED OR SHALLOW WATER RUNNING NOT ADVISED - USE River Runner. I've tried to look some of the prop savers up and it looks like the only one that is practical except for the pitch fork version.

9. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the info! Frog Legs

10. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rusty,I got to look at one inperson the other day on the Wabash. The guy said it was "OK". He didn't seem too excited about it. I read (somewhere):confused2: about a guy getting a large peice of drift wood,caught between the guard and the prop. When he put the boat in gear,it broke off the skeg (and guard), plus the cavitation plate!:eek:oooh: The jack plate I put on my boat has made all the diffrence,in running in skinny water. Last week end we ran 10 miles up the Wabash in 1-2 ft water,never touched the bottom once!:big_smile: Ron[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  11. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I like what I saw in the magazines and decided to make one for my 60 Merc... I was tired of bashing my alum props and had been using the "comp Props"

here is a pic of the one that I had made.... In the pictrue its on my Honda, and does not fit...... It was made for my ole Bayrunner boat with a 60 Merc motor on it....

I think that for me... the around the prop is best... I made a "deflector" on the side of mine..... but another important thing for me was to not to back into things.... and thus the part hanging out from the back.

Only thing wrong with my setup was if you backed into a mudd bank... you were stuck there by the stainless twanger at the back...:wink:

12. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Man, I'd like to see the pictures.................................................

This subject is on my mind a lot. Maybe I'll try out the pitchfork method.

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Opps .... forgot to include the pic.... was thinking about my next Thread.....

So here is the keel gaurd that I made.... with my light alum boat it did a great job of saving my boat..... One nice thing about the motor... It kicked up when needed.... and believe me it did happen... but mostly on sand rather than rocks....

I felt comfortable following streams of of lakes to the near the end where cobble and such were present...

Again... this is on my Honda 90... which I now have one that fits it.... So this picture is on the Honda.... made for the 60 merc.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    that is basically the "macs river runner" i had one on my 40 hp and it worked good, i also ran a composite prop with it. worked great for stuff on the bottom, just had to watch hittin bigger rocks or stumps on the side. the prop saver that they also make is the ring that goes around your prop and is used to keep your lines from tangling while trolling, i also had one of those on my first jon boat. i've known people that made decent prop savers from pitch forks mounted on the under side of he skeg