Prop and HydroFoil

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wvcatfishhunter, Jun 4, 2008.

1. wvcatfishhunter

wvcatfishhunter New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    On My 50 hp merc I have the original prop that came with it. I'd like to get a little more speed out of my boat. How do I know what pitch to get?. Also with all the different Hydrofoil Stabilizers out there Which is the best?

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Willard or Bob will be along at some point to help you out with your prop pitch question. As far as the hydrofoils go, I have a StingRay XP II on my Johnson 40. It works as advertised. I never had a problem hopping up on plane before, but after, it gets there quicker and I do notice I can stay on plane at lower speeds which equates into fuel savings. The StingRay models also have provisions for what they call Torque Equalizer Tabs that attach to the bottom of the hydrofoil on both sides and can be adjusted as needed to eliminate torque steer. All in all I would say it was $69.99 well spent. I got mine from Cabelas, you can view them on their website. I hope this helps, good luck.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Do you have a tach on your boat?

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    go the mercury web site type in props..then scroll the boat size and horsepower list it will tell you what prop, what pitch to use on the boat for maximum performance.:big_smile:

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It can tell you all that, and not have a tach? Good trick if it works.

6. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    You really need a tach, I too went with a sting ray!
    I have the xp III Sr its a no drill mount and it does what it claims. The cost is more it was a 119.00 and has gone up since last year to 140.00.

The thing about a pitch on the propeller is you have to know how the motor is is running.
    The lower pitch props will give you a great hole shot while a higher pitch will give you more top end.

I just sent a propeller off and had it repitched to 13 x 23 and double cupped and raked, hopefully it will work for the 90 merc. Its due back on Tuesday the 10 th.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would strongly suggest that you do not add any kind of prop swap until you install a working tach. If you lug or over reve that engine you will be replaceing it. Now invest about 60 to 80 bucks and install a tach to see what you are doing with your presten prop.