project boat

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by catman-j, Sep 2, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    http://omaha.craigslist.org/boa/1338115331.html
    I picked this boat up tonight for $100. The motor won't start. It has good spark and fuel to the carbs. The float bowls had gas in them but the spark plugs seem to be bone dry. I'm going to take it to a marine place that works for $35/hour in a small town. I'll give him a $100 limit to see if he can start it up anything more he'll need my approval. Any ideas what it might be? It's a 60 hp chrysler motor with dual carbs that looked clean. The transom has some damage because the plyhood underneath is rotten but it can be fixed.

2. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    sounds like a nice winter project,sounds like a good buy.keep us posted on it

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    get a spray bottle and put some mixed gas in it and spray in the carbs and crank it you can see if it will run anyway it could be low on compression i had a 85 hp johnson that was hard to start cause it had low compression spray gas in it it would start right up

4. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    It seems to have great compression.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jeff don't tie to much up in that chrysler engine. It just isn't worth it.

6. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Thanks, I'll keep that under consideration. I was going to to but 2 new boat seats for my other boat at a cost of about $100 on clearance @ bass pro. But when I went to look at the Chrysler boat last night the seats looked almost brand new so I offered him $100 for the whole thing and he took it.
    So if nothing else I can junk the boat keep the seats and trolling motor and perhaps sell the motor for parts and sell the trailer for cash.

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    And it does have a brand new 5 gallon plastic gas tank that I'll keep for myself.

8. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Prices you can get the stuff for:
    2 Seats - $60
    Trailer - $75-$120
    Motor (if it runs) - $350-600
    Not running (for parts) - $70?
    Other interior/steering parts and odds and ends - at least $50.

TOTAL: $255 at minimum... in worst cases...:crazy:

Great buy!!! Anyways, let me know when I can come pickup that 9.9hp evinrude you said I could have....:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

If you end up getting rid of your other boat... LET ME KNOW. I want a wider boat, I'll sell mine and scrounge up some cash plus what I get from my boat... I dont know.

9. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    If I can get it running I'll put it on craigslist with the boat but I'm swapping trailers. Otherwise I found someone who will take the motor off my hands and I'll dump the boat in the landfill swap trailers keep the seats stereo sump pumps and gas tank. I was thinking about finding another boat to keep @ grampas so I might keep the extra trailer and motor.