producing yet?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by JERMSQUIRM, Jul 17, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    whats going on with ya alls gardens? how they fairing in the heat and weather?

im getting a bumper crop of pumpkin blossums this year. the box elder bugs got em bad laty year eating vines. havent seen any this year.:big_smile:

zuchinnis are just starting to get to pickable size. a couple more days.:big_smile:

got one cucumber so far. got some fingerlings. and a couple peppers are thumb size.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Been eatin green beans, tomatoes, and bell peppers. Cantaloupe loaded with blooms. Garden not doing as good as last year. Think it was the strange weather and all the rain. Did I mention the rain? LOL All ready picked goose berries and the black berries are turning black now. Picked 4 large ripe tomatoes on 7/3 this year. Met my gole to have ripe mators by 7/4 at least. Picked up 5 lbs hickory smoked bacon this morning. Gonna be lots of BLT's for awhile!!

3. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    J.C
    Love them BLT's, with fresh vine ripened tomatoes, I had two for lunch yesterday and I think I will have them again today. My garden is not doing as well as last year. I got a late start do to taking a month's Vacation.

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    2 five gallon buckets of summer squash [ zukinni and yellow crook neck] every 2 days now. Pickles ar giving a 5 gallon bucket every 2 days. Food bank is getting lot's,

I have dug up at least 10 five gallon buckets of potatoes. Boy those Yukon Gold really produce. Better than the Pontiac Reds and the Kennibeck whites. Seed potatoes are all the same price, and this is the first year I tried Yukon Gold. It won't be the last year, I can tell you that. I'm getting double the yield in my sandy ground.

I picked the first 2 handfuls of yellow cherry tomatoes yesterday. They are sweet as candy.

My corn has a long ways to go.

Generally my garden is doing good. We need rain real bad.

pole beans are blooming and have lot's of little one inch beans. Won't be long, in a couple days we will have bushels.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i've been getting a handfull of yellow cherry tomatos from the two plants i have for about two weeks. The peppers aren't doing very well,might be needing another shot of M G . ,however since the recent rain,things are very lush.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I been pickin yellow straight neck squash and zeukini, (dang i can't spell) cucumbers, jalipino and bell peppers. Pole beans are starting to make and the okra is beginning to bloom. The maters are doing okay considering the fact i almost burnt them up. Like a goard head, i poured miracle grow over the tops a few times. They grew like weeds till they started wilting and the limbs began to die.Lesson learned:confused2:

7. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Doing pretty good so far, check it out.

Attached Files:

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive been giving out pumpkin blossoms this week. hope thats ok? lol. i know its a sin to give out fish lmao.

got zuchinni almost ready. and a couple ripe maters.:wink:

9. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    our garden hasnt been too bad, got a late start because of all the rain, but crook neck squash, tomatoes, and cucumbers have been doing well, I see a few watermellons thats almost ready. Corn is almost ready also, although they didnt make very big this year. Tons of cucumbers, Jennie will be putting up lots of pickles this year :eek:oooh:. Having fried squash tonight with fresh mators. Mac

10. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I am joining you guys next year, 1st time I have ever taken a whack at it. Going to be fun... :wink:

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Living in a concrete jungle and using buckets aint working. It was ok until lucifer cranked up the heat. I got some bell peppers started inside for the winter crop. Well see how that goes. I am trying some fruit seeds now. I plan to buy a house soon, so figured Ill try to get something started now.

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Been picking 12-15 quarts of green beans every 3 days. All the peppers are picked daily. Corn should be ready in a week to 10 days. Tomatoes are way behind normal.

Attached Files:

13. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Aint nothin to it, get you an farmers almanac it will tell ya when to plant. Old Timers went by the "signs" all the old timers in my family is gone cept for pop, so I rely on the almanac. This mean you about to retire Paul ?

Ozzy, go to 55 gallon barrels, cut em in half drill you some holes for drainage, we used to do that when I didnt have any means to break ground, still do it for potatoes, easier to dump than dig LOL. :wink:

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Kutter, you have a beautiful place. Looks like you've spent alot of time in it and i hope the coons don't get a wiff of that sweet corn.:crazy:

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I have no problem sharing corn with the birds & raccoons. I have no problem sharing my beans with rabbits. I have no problem sharing my tomatoes with the squirrels. I don't mind sharing at all. I just wish they would share with me a little.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    my bounty this morning. 3 zuchinni and a bag of pumpkin blossoms.:wink:

17. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    My chili plant's are loaded with pepper's it's amazing how much the chili pod's grow each day about 1/2 a inch or more the tomatoe's are getting real big so are the bell pepper's and the herb's

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i just fried up about 40 pumpkin bsm's and froze for winter. thats two batches. prob have 80 froze. and a batch still in fridge. gave a big bag to grandma last week and aunt yesterday.

about to start leaving them on the vine. but i aint ate to many yet.picking about 50-60 a day. and 3 cucumbers today too.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i tried your container gardening here on the back deck.

i grow romas for my salsa. there more beef than goo. i aint a tomato man. lol. less go it good.:smile2: so i used one of my huge pots i used to have houseplants in. and planted 1 beefmaster tomato for wife. she eats them. that saved room in garden. and its the only one thats had a ripe one so far.

and i had some extra pots so i went ahead and planed 5-6 peppers in some too. there doing well. they dry up quicker but they are doing as good and better than my garden plants right now.:wink:

20. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I never heard of eating pumpkin blossoms, what do they taste like and how do you prepare them Jeremy. Is there a nutritional value to it? Roasted pumpkin seed taste good, have you tried that? mac