processing sausage

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by JERMSQUIRM, Nov 17, 2005.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well after learning to process deer this season ive done 2 already not real difficult. getting chops roasts steaks catfish loins and burger. last buck was 41# ground 5 packs chops 6 steaks and 4 roasts. with a new sunmile elect grinder we can do roughly 2 # per min. weve ordered some breakfast sausage mix from the TSS sponser.i will post back when we have tasted it. a 1# bag turns 50# of meat into seasoned sausage for $8 boc price.

the newest thing i have just aquired is a recipe for summer sausage. :wub: not real tough and with my cooking experience i think i can doctor it up as good as locker sausage. got to get one more ingredient tomorrow. the cure salt. gonna do some jal cheese on the first run. takes two days.

anyone else make s/s?? this should be great if it turns out like the recipe shows. ill post results and pic's soon.

2. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Jeremy, I have never made s/s but I know a guy up north that has all of his deer done that way. It was better than any store bought I have tasted...good luck!

3. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    Never made any s/s but we ground up to hogs into breakfast sausage last year & used the TSS sausage seasoning mix. It turned out to definately be the best sausage I have ever tasted.

We used bacon ends for the fat. 70/30 ratio if I remember correctly.

4. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    hey jerm i got a pretty good sumar sausage recipie realy pretty easy and not even realy hard ether

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well here is this one. had a time finding morton cure salt but county market had it. no locker would come off it.

3# ground venison.
    2 tsp mustard seed
    1 " liquid smoke
    1/4 " garlic powder
    1/8 " ground pepper
    1 cup cold water
    3 tbls of cure salt. mix thourghly and seperate into 3 equal portions. roll into logs and wrap tight in alum foil (shiny side in) refridgerate 24 hrs to cure.

preheat oven to 325 and bake 1 1/2 hrs. poke tiny wholes in the foil on bottom of logs just prior to baking.

for a bit drier remove foil and bake additional 15 min.

im adding some jalapeno peppers and colby cheese too. and some TSS seasonings. pics will be coming.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the first run ain't bad. i believe that i poked to many wholse in the bottom and the cook time (although same as called for) was a bit to long. it was good but a tad dry. i did 6 more rolls tonight. gonna cook for about 1 hr and see how they are with only 3 small toothpic whols in the foil instead of 8 or so. also this recipe was a tad plain. had a sausage taste but i preffer a bit more flavor. i added more seasoning to this next batch. ill get some pics up soon.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    second run i did it for 1 hr and reduced the toothpic holes two 3 in the bottom of rolls. this stuff is as good as ive ever had. jal/cheese.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    heres the pics of second run. perfecto. :wub:

9. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    Nice looking stuff. I bet it goes good with Miller Lite. Schoe