Processing deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by iabowhunter, Sep 19, 2008.

1. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Do you guys process your own deer of send it off to the locker?

We will bone it out and then take it to the locker for ring bologna, except for the loins.

This year we are going to try to make our own jerkey. I bought a slicer at Cabela's bargin cave this summer and my buddy is buying a bradley smoker. Glad he has the money to buy one cause I sure don't.

We are also going to make up some deer brats. I bought a brat mix and have the meat grinder and stuffer. Just have to put down the deer.

I can't wait to climb up in a treestand!

It's going to be a good year!!!

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've been processing my deer since the first one I killed in 1978.,I make steaks,roasts ,stewmeat,fajita meat ,an keep a few chunks for jerky .
    Its the only way to keep from getting ripped off and getting someone elses tough old buck or getting shorted.

3. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Always done it myself. Cut as much up into steaks as I can and the rest is either stew meat or ground up in sausage.

4. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    That's why we are going to do our own. Sick and tired of getting ripped off at the locker.

5. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    That's what we do. It costs too darn much and you don't even know for sure that you are getting your own kill. Bo skins it and debones it. He sends the meat in to me and I cut it how ever we need it at the time.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I 've always cut my own. I debone the hams and what makes pretty steaks i'll keep along with the back straps. Most of the rest i grind up with beef fat to make hamburger. I usually debone one and take to Carthage and have made into summer sausage. They put jalapino and cheese in it, and it's awsum.

7. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    The Cabelas jerky slicer is a good machine. We bought one and do most of the deer into jerky, bag it into four pound bags so that when we thaw it out, we can just add a package of backwoods jerky mix and be done. The slicer is perhaps the best, the absolutely best purchase that has made my life easier.

THE KEY IS TO GET THE SIENE OFF.

8. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have done both depends on how we feel, my whole family hunts and if we get sick sitting in the cold we take em to the locker if not we do it ourselves. Here is something i learned if you are going to use a slicer or if you cut the jerkey by hand you need to put your meat in the freezer for a while so its stiff but not to hard youll know when its right. The reason for this is its hard to cut right with it bending a bloody and such, just a tip to make things easier. Plus after you clean that slicer a few times if your like me youll go back to cutting it by hand, with the slicers ive used theres not much time saved especially after clean up.

9. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Thats why we have always done are own. There is only one locker that I have used in the rear instance that I want something special done and then only because I have known the owner for a long time.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I gut, hang, skin, cut my own! Gonna make sure that what im eatin is mine!.... Isn't some city slicker's that forgot to remove the A-HOLE!! rollo

11. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I do my own and have been for 35 plus years. I had a small part time processing business for a few years and what a hassle that was. Guys would bring in 80 pound does that had been shot five times with a 30-06 from the shoulders to the hind quarters. When they came to pick up the meat which was usually a month after I called them they would gripe because they didn't have 50 pounds of meat.
    Most processors only try to get the deer done and out the door as quickly as possible. They don't even now how to properly age the meat. If you have a cooler or even an old working refrigerator and some basic knowledge of meat cutting you can save a lot of money doing it yourself.

12. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    LOL AMEN BRO!

...or someone cut the piss bag and never bothered washing out the body cavity.

When we do take boned out meat to the locker we find out how big of a batch they make ring bologna in. If they do 25 pounds at a time, we take them 25 or 50 pounds. Still doesn't guarantee that I'm getting "my" deer back.

I'm looking forward to making my own this year.

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My uncle has saws, I know a friend with the freezers, grinders etc! I feel when I kill something, I wanna tend it myself hands on. When I eat it, I feel I have given my total time towards the animal. I enjoy it more that way....rollo

If you ain't gonna eat it, or give it to charity... don't kill it!

14. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I like the way you think rollo!

The way prices of EVERYTHING are going up I think I'm going to fill my freezer with deer.

15. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    I take 1 or 2 a year to a processor I know for cubed, grind, and sausage , but I usually have them already quartered and aged for 3 or 4 days... All the others I quarter and age in coolers for at least 7 days, sometimes 9 depending on the age of the deer and the shot. Everything is packaged in Food Saver type vacuum bags in proper size portions... It's taken 35 years for me to figure out to do it right, quickly to the coolers from the shot and properly aged to really appreciate some of the finest meat a person can get anywhere. I know how it's been treated and have no problem eating every bite...

16. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i aleays do my own, loins, a few steaks and jerky and grind the rest. I also always quarter it and put in the bottom of fridge for 3-5 days.
    chip

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Aint no locker here....road kill or not ...I can skin a buck or run a line:wink:shoot I am from Iowa bro:wink:

18. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Do everything myself 99% of the time, on very rare occasions I'll drop one off if I for some reason don't have time or it's too warm and I want to get it in a cooler fast. But if at all possible, I butcher it myself.

19. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When I was frist on my own,I didnt have a freezer,much less the money to have someone else do for me. I Mom showed me how to can meat. One year I had 107 qts of deer.Now I make my own berger and jerky,But still can one deer.
    smokey

20. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :big_smile:Did our own since the start,but we allways did our own pork to.We make our own Salami and it is easy to do the same with ring balona.Use a copany called Excalibur Seasoning in Pekin IL. the have mixes for 25 pounds on up for as much as you need.Use LEM. for your caseing and you are in bussiness.Need any help email me and i will gladly show you somethings.Soory about your smoke house you can have one like ours which is three foot square and five foot long enough room for 50 three pound rolls of Salami for around 100.00$We do eight hams in it at one time,all electric with thermosat EMail jhagen12@sbcglobal.net