Problems with my motor

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by nevets91, Nov 6, 2009.

1. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i posted this in the outboard forum also but figured i would put it where alot of you guys look to
    thanks

ok so this morning when i put in i could even get my motor to turn over even after about 45 minutes of pulling while my partner was catchin bait. but i ran my motor last night so it isnt like it has been siting. so i used my trolling motor so my day wouldnt be a waste and then i decided to give it another try around 9 and it fired up first try. i know that it being a little chilly out cold have alot to do with it but after 45 minutes it should have done something but it wouldnt even fire at all. any idea how this can be fixed? once it cranks it runs perfect it just has trouble sometimes. any help would be awesome if im forgeting anything that could help tell me. thanks guys

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Send a PM to Cutbait101, He is certified and a great machanic.:wink: He lives in the Wooddruff area, so he isn't to far from ya. I know some guys that come from GA, to get him to work on there stuff.
    Pop Pop

3. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Going to check your other thread in outboard Forum but would definatly need more info : Year , make , model ,hp . post back and will try to help.

4. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I had a old Sears Ted Williams motor that would run like a striped ass ape in the barrel at the house .........take it to the river and she wouldnt fire a lick. Finally decided it was just hexed and traded it for a dalmation puppy......that turned out to be stone deaf.

5. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    sorry its a 1997 30 hp johnson i put that in the motor forum but forgot to put it here

6. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    sounds to me like its the choke. I had a Merc. that would crank out of the water and soon as i backed it into the water it wouldn't start. Took it to the shop and they said the choke was not engageing. Go figure, when i got it out of the shop it worked fine. Plugs can cause them to be hard to crank. Also check your gas line and primer ball. Just some simple checks sometimes saves you a big repair bill.

7. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds like it could be a moisture problem. I'd look for cracks in the coils and plug wires. When temperature gets below the dew point moisture clings to just about any surface. It can get into places you never though possible, places where rain can't even get in, because its in the air in the gas state and condenses on the cold surfaces. A little silicone spray around the coils and wires might stop it for a while, if thats what it is.

8. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I seen him try to crank that thing at one of the tournament (and it was still warm) Man, i got tired watching him. I pray that he will find the problem soon.

9. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If its always hard to crank, its probably not moisture. One problem I recently had with mine was the fuel lines had swelled up on the inside. I had to replace the lines under the cover as well as the one from the tank. The seals in the fuel line ends also were bad on both ends. The one at the motor was leaking gas and the tank end was sucking air. They were the cheap after market ends. I replaced them with OMC parts. You could see the difference in Quality. I also had to recently clean my spark plugs. I usually keep clean plugs in the truck in case its hard to start. Those are several things you easily do yourself. If you are sure the fuel delivery is good and the spark is strong, then it could be a carburetor problem. The kits are around $20 a piece. I did my own, but don't suggest you do it unless you familiar with carburetors. Remember if you do there's a lot of tiny holes that can get clogged and must be cleaned out. Be careful not to change the diameter of those holes, which can be easily done up if cram something in them like a wire, bit, or torch tip cleaner. Count the turns on any adjustments so they can be set in the same place and write it down. You can fine tune the adjustments later. If you take the carb apart, put back together the same day. It'll help keep you from losing parts and its easier to remember where stuff goes. If it has two, do one and put it back together before taking the other one apart, so you always have one as a guide.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  10. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I'm unfamiliar with this exact motor. What is your starting ritual, exactly? Is there a manual choke?

Don't start ramdomly replacing parts. One thing you could do is get a $10 spark tester and check for spark when it isn't starting.

11. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    PM sent

12. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    so i decided to run my motor today since it has been sittin for about two weeks now. it had been runnin perfect and cranking better for the past while but when i went to crank it up after about 5 pulls it fired up but about 3 seconds later it cut off i didnt think much of it since i havent ran it. so i pulled about 3 more times and it fired up but cut off again a few seconds later after that it did not want to fire at all i pulled for a while and then checked the spark plugs and took pictures so you can see. then i took the old pull chord off and put another one in about twice as long and started to use it and when i would pull it fast about six feet out of the motor it would try to fire but wouldnt crank after about five pulls it did crank and ran fine after that. i just dont really know whats goin on. any more ideas?

Attached Files:

13. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey man try mixing some gas and 2 cyc oil together in a spray bottle... Spray it into the carbs then start. If it starts and runs easy then it may be a carb or reed issues...

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Run a compression check on that bad baby. Sounds typical of low compression.

15. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i have no idea how to check the compression on it how do you go about that

16. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Is that why ur user name is Aw shucks??:smile2: I was going to mention that next.... But didnt want to be the one to offer bad news.... And then say I know where you can get a good power head for cheap then have cut bait install it for him.....

17. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    From the looks of those plugs, they need replaced. It don't hurt to replace plugs once a yr.

18. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    If you're using gas with ethanol in it and not using Sta-Bil Marine Formula, or some such additive, Your fuel line may be deteriorating and clogging the
    low speed jets. The solution is usually to take carb off, disassemble carb (removing all rubber/nylon washers), soak the carb in "carb cleaner" for at least an hour, rinse it good in water, blow out the jets with compressed air, and reassemble.

Not the first thing you want to check, but somthing to keep in mind. If it is the fuel lines, change out ALL fuel lines with ethanol rated fuel line while you have it disassembled. I learned the hard way.