Problems with chicken livers?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Jul 4, 2008.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering why is the Turtles eating the chicken livers up before the cats have a change to bite. Thats all I been catching on livers is Turtles I am about to give up on livers. Is there anyway I can stop the Turtles from getting the livers?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    My only idea is move Charles. Its about the only way ya are gonna win. LOL!

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that is one reason i dont use livers anymore..they are great bait for channels, but will draw in turtles from everywhere.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thats strange because i hardly ever catch turtles on liver.Maybe its just the location your fishing.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Maybe so its show a lot of turtles in this spot.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    once turtles move into your hole, its time to move. They love livers more than the cats

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    It's called a22 rifle.:roll_eyes: Jk! As stated time to move .

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am going to be changing my cat baits then.

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Chicken liver will always be one of the best baits there are. I wouldn't go that far.. those turtles will eat whatever else it is you put on there for catfish unless it's alive. I would just move to another area. Or throw on some live bait and try to catch some bigger fish.

10. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    They also eat cut bait. Like others said when the turtles move in it`s time to move. Liver is way to good of bait to stop using.

11. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    same thing at my lake.I get channels but i get 3 times as much turtles.Im wondering if there are any baits that work like chicken livers that will stay on the hook better.

12. Tyme2fish

Tyme2fish New Member

State:
    Greenville,Indi
    I've heard and read that Turkey livers are a little better at staying on the hook. Trouble is, you can't find them anywhere.

You'd have to buy a whole lot of whole Turkeys to get enough liver to go fishing:big_smile::big_smile:

13. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    As far as staying on the hook goes try these 2 recipes.

take 6 bluegill heads put them in bucket of liver and let sit for 1 hour then freeze.

catch carp, scale carp, filet carp leave skin on. cut filets into strips or chunks as desired put into bucket of chicken liver let sit for 1 hour and freeze.

the freezing once before you use it helps the liver blood get integrated into the meat. Carp meat with the skin on is pretty damn hard to get off of a hook and the fish love that fishmeat/chicken liver combo. I have some in the freezer right now and it works great.

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    My problems with liver are bluegills & small bullheads picking at it before the channels and larger bulls show up.

Casting for distance with out pantyhose

fishing live with hose and getting something other then a bullhead to commit to it.

15. tomtomboy

tomtomboy New Member

State:
    ny
    it must be the location you are fishing, try change to somewhere else. that may help

16. Kerplunkd

Kerplunkd New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Liver is the 2nd worst bait i have ever used. #1 is dip bait or stink bait as some folks call it. They both suck.

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks guys for the comments, I have caught channels and bullheads on livers before, but this was not the same hole.

18. duckriverdave

duckriverdave New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Our Piggly Wiggly store stocks frozen turkey liver all year. They do seem to be a little tougher.

drd