Problems with catching catfish in florida

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by 813Fishing, Jan 22, 2008.

1. 813Fishing

813Fishing New Member

State:
    Floirda
    I go fishing at hillsborough river near my house, I use cut bream. (Heads and Mid-body) I went out monday and caught about 10 bowfin when I was trying to catch catfish. The time before I caught about 4 bowfin and 4 gar. I use size 4 and 6 circles attached to about a foot of leader with a no-slip egg weight rig. What am I doing wrong?
    I saw some locals catch 2 catfish in about 15 minutes by setting their drag really low so that you hear the fish taking line whenever it bites then you start to tighten the drag and reel it in. Is this better than tightlining?
    Thanks
    -813Fishing

2. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    i take it your bait is on the bottom then.. you are using a good set up but maybe try raising bait off bottom some.. use a bigger piece or maybe whole fish as bait..

tightlining shouldn't matter..

good luck

3. 813Fishing

813Fishing New Member

State:
    Floirda
    how should i make the bait go higher? More leader?
    -813Fishing

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Or a slip float,that will keep it off the bottom and allow you to cover more area.

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I use live 3 to 5 inch bream. Fish them 3 to 5 feet deep under a 1 or 1 1/2 inch bobber. No sinker. Just let'em swim around.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I know how you feel on this one. To be honest I always moved away, sometimes when the bowfins are around nothing else is. As jerry said a live bream might work but if there are lily pads there he will tug his way over to hide, maybe chop off some fins to keep him in place better. Some spots are just plain hard to fish in Fla. Bowfin , turtles, and gators can make life hard for a catman.

g'luck
    -Jim-

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Try fishing the same area they do, heck ask them what bait and setup they are using.

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    As JJ said above the bream will try to get to weeds or lilypads but that is a big mistake for the bream. There is often a bucket mouth trophy sized bass that will get'em then. A 6 pound or larger Bass is a blast to catch.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea man. My Pb bass is only #8. Kinda disappointing for living there so many years but I had to drag him through 30' of pads. He hung up 1/2 in and I thought he was a goner. I did the last thing you can do....give him slack. I lucked out and got him in ; )~ Off the bank its just a little harder to use live baits is all.

-Jim-

10. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    I learned how tough florida catfishing can be when I moved here a few years back. What I have found is when the gar and bowfin are biting in the area, I wont get any cats. If I catch a gar or bowfin, I just pick up and move to a different hole. Also, I switched from cut bluegill to mullet and my catch rate went way up. Usually I use mullet but the river shiners, those red tail shiners, work well too when fished under a float. I also tried to switch from cut bluegill to live bluegill but the gar liked that even more. The one thing that has worked for me is to never stay in the same place too long. Seems that after 20-30 minutes the gar seem to show up and start hitting everything that hits the water. I only stay in one hole for 15-20 minutes trying to catch the active fish in the area and then moving on down the river. Dont know what kind of cats you are trying to catch, but maybe try some prepared bait. Never caught anything but channels on that stuff. Never any gar. My two cents for what its worth.​

11. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    I meant to add that when those guys are setting their drag really low and waiting for it to start whining then cranking it, they are doing the same thing that you can accomplish with a bait clicker. Just set your reel to free spool, engage the clicker and listen for the buzzzz. Good luck, tight lines.