problems with 97 30 hp johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by nevets91, Nov 6, 2009.

1. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    ok so this morning when i put in i could even get my motor to turn over even after about 45 minutes of pulling while my partner was catchin bait. but i ran my motor last night so it isnt like it has been siting. so i used my trolling motor so my day wouldnt be a waste and then i decided to give it another try around 9 and it fired up first try. i know that it being a little chilly out cold have alot to do with it but after 45 minutes it should have done something but it wouldnt even fire at all. any idea how this can be fixed? once it cranks it runs perfect it just has trouble sometimes. any help would be awesome if im forgeting anything that could help tell me. thanks guys

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is kind of difficult to troubleshoot the motor without first hand experience as to what was actually taking place. The coils could have been acting up and not producing spark, the carbs could have been messing up and not delivering fuel, the powerpack could intermentaly be not working...I would say to get it back home and start with the basics... compression test... spark test... linkage adjustments....fuel pump and condition of lines, just do like a doctor checking it for swine flu...look at everything.

3. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    i had a 95 johnson on my old boat that did the same thing. took for ever to find it. it was the wires in the handle going to the kill switch. some thimes it would crank fine and other would not start for nothing.

4. beagle777

beagle777 New Member

State:
    Il
    You could possibly have a float that is sticking and flooding the motor while it is not running .
    Disconnect the fuel line till you are going to use the motor and see if that helps.

5. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    sounds like you flooded it then it set awhile and dried the gas out and started up! next time it acts up pull a plug and see if it is wet. if thats not it could be in switch.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    THAT, would be my guess. Reps to ya for thinkin' like me! :smile2::wink::smile2:

BB in SC

7. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    so i decided to run my motor today since it has been sittin for about two weeks now. it had been runnin perfect and cranking better for the past while but when i went to crank it up after about 5 pulls it fired up but about 3 seconds later it cut off i didnt think much of it since i havent ran it. so i pulled about 3 more times and it fired up but cut off again a few seconds later after that it did not want to fire at all i pulled for a while and then checked the spark plugs and took pictures so you can see. then i took the old pull chord off and put another one in about twice as long and started to use it and when i would pull it fast about six feet out of the motor it would try to fire but wouldnt crank after about five pulls it did crank and ran fine after that. i just dont really know whats goin on. any more ideas?