Problems steering outboard

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by youngun, Feb 4, 2006.

1. youngun

youngun New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Hey, I worked all summer for my boat, and I finally got one this janurary. There are a ton of little cosmetic things to fix on the boat, but the only really big thing is my steering. My boat is a 225 sprint bass boat with a 1996 90 horse force mucury engine. For some reason steering is INCREADBELY hard to do on this boat. How could I go about loosening it up a bit? thanks for the help.

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Theres 2 things.
    One is to get someone that has the special piece and lub the steering cables.
    If that does not work, Its time for new ones.
    Pete

3. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    Well, this may sound really simple, but most boats with a steering wheel have a knob under the wheel that puts tension on the steering wheel. See if it is tightened way down. Boog

4. youngun

youngun New Member

State:
    tennessee
    O.K. I figured it out, or my dad did at least. The part on the back of the boat that turns the engine needs greese. Thanks for the tips though.

5. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Thats the 1st thing i was going to say!!!
    greez it up reel good

I'd greez that thing eacxh month.Wipe off the old grease and put a fresh bead making sure it gets into the part there that the motor/tilt thing is connected too.
    Ya know that part of the steering that disappears into the connection and runs out the other side?
    Get the grease in there by turning the wheel back n forth.

Awhile back my steering was stuck,wheel wouldn't budge.Dealer was ready to charge me 400 possibly more for all new steering.Got it back home and banged it a bit with a hammer and a lil heat and it broke free.The grease was old and hard.Very hard.

I put a fresh bead of grease on there each month whether it looks like it needs it or not!Whether i use the boat or not!
    Haven't had any problems since my lil experience.Glad to hear ya Dad noticed the problem and best of luck with yer new boat!

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Take out the steering cable from the tube and ream out the tube. It's rusted or grease has hardened in there,

Chances are you'll have to pull the engine to do it. There's not many boats that you can remove the cable from the tube on the engine without lifting the engine off the boat.

If you choose not to and just kep greasing it, expect to have this problem everytime the boat sets up for a few weeks.

You can ream the tube with a 12ga bore brush on a rod section and stick the cleaning rod section in a drill. Run it thrugh the tube until it's clean. Using a penetrating oil helps.

If the steering cable is every stuck in the tube, you can use a set of vice grips on the very end of the steering cable, where the crimp is and twist back and forth while someone else turns the steering wheel. I've freed up many saltwater situations like that.

It would probably be a good idea, if you choose to remove the cable now, to do that preceedure before removing it.

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was told once that a steering cable was worth 10.00 a foot.