Problems down at the river

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TexasCatfish, Apr 11, 2006.

1. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    This may seem a bit odd, but I thought I would go ahead and ask for opinions about it anyways. I fish in the Nolan River. It runs right behind my house, and even though it's small, it holds some beasts in it. I think because of the relatively mild winter that we had in Texas this year, a lot of the insects did not die off. The first weekend that I spent down at the river fishing (pulled out a 10 pounder also), I quickly learned that there is a serious tick problem. I didn't even think about it, seeing as how it usually isn't THAT big of a problem. I was looking around when I suddenly spotted one on my minnow bucket.. and then one on my tackle box.. and then another one on my chair.. and then three or four crawling up my pants.. more crawling up my boots. It was almost like something out of a horror movie. I quickly grabbed my stuff and high tailed it to a cleared out spot a little ways down the river where I set up again (caught a channel and some bullheads). I got all of the ticks off of my person, and tried to get them off of my things that I had with me. I was standing there watching the leaves next to the cleared out spot.. and one by one they would start crawling out onto the cleared out dirt, and towards me. In all I must have killed 30 or so. Later on after I loaded my stuff up in my car and went home (and checked myself in the mirror) I went out to my car to get some things out, and got another one crawling up my arm from the stuff in my car. I left the next morning and drove back up to Arlington. Went to bed that night, woke up in the morning, took a shower, and as I was getting dressed, had one crawling on my shoulder. I couldn't believe how much of a problem I had that weekend. Do you guys ever face such problems when in the woods fishing? How do you handle them? And is there anything I can do to reduce their numbers?

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Oh brother, you must have set up right on a nest of them. Try another location for a while.

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    avon skin so soft bath oil. rub it all over you before you dress to go fish. youll smell like a cheap date on saturday night but you will NOT have a tick on you when you get home. if you want double protection get some seven dust mix it with water soak your clothes in mixtureand let them dry on the clothes line . this will work.

4. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    The skin so soft idea sounds pretty interesting, but soaking my clothes in bug killer kind of scares me. Lol.

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Rex is right on. Skin so soft does work. Check out the "Dirt Doctor" on the web. He is a guy that tells ya how to treat your dirt naturally with bugs and stuff like molasses. I had a tick problem and used alot of dried molasses in my back yard. The molasses brings in the nematoads (sp) and these lil bugs will make quick work of any bad bugs ya have.
    However, it may take a ton of molasses to treat the river bank :cool: ....
    I think ya could just do a small spot on the river bank and see what happens. A 2gal. bucket treated my large back yard three years ago and still to this day I have no ticks.

6. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'll definitely try the skin so soft suggestion, thanks guys. I might go ahead and bring some Off too. :p

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Take a bag of SEVIN dust with you. Sprinkle it around the area your gonna be occupying. It will kill the litter critters. It used to be that when I went to SE Oklahoma and fished the Kiamichi River, I'd have every tick and Chigger in Pushmataha county on my person. When I went to VN in '68, I was solid red from my waist to my knee caps and sure walked funny. Would say lol, but ticks and chiggers are not a laughing matter to me anymore.

8. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Maybe take a small bag of 7 dust or a bottle of liquid 7 or even some bug repelent with deet in it. Dont get the deet on bare skin just your shoes & clothes. Well take whatever and make you a good circle on the ground around where your sitting up to help keep them away. O'yea dont get that stuff on your hands I'm afraid it may repel fish as well!! Good luck!!..Abu65

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use skin so soft too. It works great 95% of the time, and when I do find one its usually one or two. Also have heard of a spray called permanone?, supposed to be able to spray your clothes and if you dont wash them it will last for a couple weeks.

10. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    Come to think about it, I have a large spray tank I can fit on the back of my four wheeler. I might mix me up some sevin dust and give em' hell. ;)

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :0a21:

How mnay people are now itching theirselves after reading this post? I know I am! :0a16:

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You can also use cedar chips in the area to get rid of them, as they don't like cedar. This would be more inviromentally sound than using a type of insecticide next to water ways and possibley contaminating the water with it.

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Funny you should ask that Mellon, LOL!!!

14. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i dont know your water way or your laws , but if you or your family dont own the land becareful . peta or the epa or some other group that cant mind there own buisiness would love to catch someone killing ticks on public land with pesticides.the epa would hang you right after peta made you buy 6 or 7000 tiny tick coffins.

15. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    Heheh yeah, we do own the land. I would probably just spray the area I would fishing in lightly. I do not like thinking that I could contribute to water way pollution.

16. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i was just giving you food for thought. good luck with whichever solution you use.

17. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Permanone is THE insect repellant. It actually doesn't repel them, it literally kills them... ticks, skeeters, no see'ums everything.

You spray it on your fishing clothes and boots and that one application lasts for up to two weeks.

Keep in mind its not made for your skin so keep the skin so soft handy for those exposed areas. Wear boots and keep your pants legs and shirt tails tucked in. Do that and you will become a bug fortress.

Its rather amusing stuff, you see a tick crawl up your pants leg and all of a sudden it gets sick and falls off. The tick is spotted by some fire ants and when they go to attack the tick they get sick and woozy too.

18. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I quit spring turkey hunting because of ticks. Nearly the same story as you tell. I now use DEET and a clothing spray. I hate ticks and the diseases they carry make me leary of them. I would switch spots for a bit. Insecticides are your best friend early in the spring.

19. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    Can you get Permanone at Walmart or other sporting goods stores?

20. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    REPEL makes some: http://www.repel.com/ProductCategories/Insectrepellents/Permanone/

It would be best to get a formula that contains both DEET and paramethrin (permanone), as the paramethrin looses potentency on contact with skin. Applications on your clothing with paramethrin are best; DEET for your skin.