Problem's at Shelbyville

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Slick Skin, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    Shelbyville dam main road to close

SHELBYVILLE — The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will close the road across the main dam at Lake Shelbyville to all vehicle and pedestrian traffic from 7 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday through Thursday.

The road will cose, weather permitting. The dam road will re-open for normal traffic Friday. This closure is necessary to provide safety while maintenance is being performed on the main dam. A drilling crew from St. Louis has been drilling piezometer wells around the main dam.

For more information call the Lake Shelbyville Management Office at 774-3951.

I was told that there is a lot more to this story than is being let out to the public....the lake is 14 foot above normal summer time pool..

2. RBBH

RBBH New Member

State:
    illinois
    I wonder whats going on.

3. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    not sure ....they have always had some issue's at the dam since the day it was built ..last year it was a sink hole on the west side of the dam 4 foot across 15 deep ...they sure got that filled in and not talked about much ...like what caused it...I'm very leary of anything the army corp has to say .....they have been know to lie.....the term structural integretiy was thrown around last year ..that was a little frighting to those down stream...as alway's the corp said don't worry we have everything under control...when you call over there to the office you'll get a song and dance but not much real useful imformation...

4. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It's never good when they link the words Dam, and structural integrity together in one paragraph. I would be leery of anything that might harm the lake or the people in the path of the wave if, and when the dam ever gave way.

5. U-262FirstMate

U-262FirstMate New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rex,

Yeah, it would be nice if they told us the real scoop on what's going on up at the dam. There are some folks with some nice cabins on the river that I think would be in real danger if anything happens to that dam. I'm sure you heard about the dam that gave way up at Wisconsin Dells that took out all of those people's homes and washed them down the Wisconsin River. As someone whose considering building on some land I've got on the river down by Cowden, I'm certainly taking notes on what's going on with this dam situation. Thanks again for all of the info!

U-272... aka Anthony

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    id like to fish down there but im not takin a chance after hearing that i was down thear last month with 4 ouce weght and got washed to the bank, to hard to fish that current, wen it goes down the fishing will be amazinig they can finely come up stream,

7. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    well there is alway's something going on there with the dam and from what I seen over the years it on going work on the dam most of the time..there are probably nothing wrong but general up keep ...but it hard to tell when the corps keep's everything hush hush....I know that when they had the sink hole after they filled it in ..no explanation came as to what caused it.The corps said it was nothing and maybe it was nothing..I just wish they would put out better statement's ..like this last time they closed the road for maintenance...on what though the road the dam the gates or what..the corps not alway's clear on what go's on there..