Problem with tidewater 30L

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Oct 6, 2005.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Im not sure what the deal is and im hopeing someone could help.I cant get my tidewater adjusted correctly.when i try to set it to where the line will fall freely,you know before you cast your line and you adjust your spool to where it will drop slowly?Mine wont do that at all and i lossened the knob as far as it would go.I put a one ounce egg sinker on it plus bait and it just wouldnt fall.And as soon as you try to cast it, it birdnest everytime.Is there something wrong with the reel or is it suppose to be that stiff?Or is it because its new and needs to be broke in or what?I could really use some help here thanks.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have to ask the obvious.

When you turn the knob counter clockwise to loosen it, are you also flipping the lever that release line? You need to do that, and line should start to spool off and from there you can adjust the brake.

I did not mean to insult your intelligence, but I did not know your level of experience with baitcasters. If you are doing all that, and it is still not working, it has to be a reel problem.

3. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    yeah i flip the lever to release the line.i dont even have to thumb the the spool when i do becase it wont fall.

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I have some Tidewater 10 reels and I had a problem with the spool tension knob not tightening the spool enough. I contacted Shakespeare and they sent me a whole bag full of knobs and shims.

One ounce is not much weight for a big reel like yours. Put two or 3 ounces on it and see if you can adjust it where it will fall slowly when the lever is flipped.

The Tidewater spool shafts won't hold up to the pressure from trying to break off snagged line if you have 30-40 lb. test on it. If you snag and try to break it off, make sure the spool is not taking all the pressure from the line or the shaft will bend.

Shakespeare (shakespearefishing.com) is one of the best companies I have ever ran across as far as customer service is concerned. If you contact them with a problem, they will try to help. I guarantee it.

5. danyelle

danyelle New Member

or you could get a spinning reel with a baitrunner drag lol!! :)

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well, I have that same problem happen every now and then with mine, and it is normally because a piece of line got folded over another piece, and wont let the line fall. Try pulling it out a little ways to make sure this didnt happen. You may also want to try greasing the spool shaft or something. Also, try bumping the tip of the rod just a bit. That usually helps get the spool moving enough.

7. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    well i fixed my problem,i took it back and and exchanged it.I got the same reel and it feel much better,its not nearly as stiff as it was so will see wht happenes.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Maybe it was a bad reel I hope u like the new one.

9. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    yeah im thinking it was a bad reel to.But i noticed something about them,the one i took back had metal side plates and the one i got has plastic sides,but they are the same model,whats the deal there?I would have preferred to have had the one with the metal side plates but at least it works.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the person who exchanged it might not have paid attention they look alike kind of. I think their is an extra letter or something in the model #. the model with the metal side also has the metal spool i believe? the other plastic? at least the ones at wall mart ive seen. yea Id want the metal one if it was what i paid for. my manual for ajusting the break says it should drop slowly when rod tip is slightly flexed but 1oz should have been more than enought rod jiggle or not.