Problem with the control unit

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wolfman, Sep 17, 2007.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Just bought a used boat with a 85 Mercury outboard. It ran fine most of the night until I went in to load up. The motor will rev up high when I put into neutral but runs fine in forward and reverse. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Walter sounds like the warm up lever has stuck in the up position on you. What type of control do you have and the year it was born.

3. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    the warm up lever was down at the time. Im not sure, but it could be mid to late 70s. The boat is a 1976 Rinker bowrider

4. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Pop the hood and check your control levers on the motor. make sure they are in the proper places when someone moves the controls around. Sounds like a busted cable sheath or bad linkage.

5. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Found that one of the control cables busted at the clamp back where it goes into the motor. The linkage is sloppy and some play in it. Im not sure where the linlage lever needs to be for proper idle speed. How much will this cost if I take it to the shop to have the control cables replaced? thanks in advance.

6. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Sorry I cant answer that question. I've always measure the length of cable I need and searched out a good deal on Ebay and fixed them myself. It isnt hard if you have a little mechanical ability..

7. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I ordered the cables and decided to do the project myself. It doesnt look too hard to replace them, just not sure how to reset my idle speed. Thanks for the help.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Walter get me a serial number and I'll post a picture of where the idle speed screw and idle speed stop screw is located and the adjustment procedure.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Walter, that idle adjustment is only hard the first time you do it. After that it is a snap. Best investment you can make is in a manual for that motor. You'll save yourself some big bucks by doing the work yourself. And, believe me, trouble shooting and repair of an outboard is not all that difficult - especially since we have Bubbakat.