Problem with spring floats.

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by SouthGADan, Sep 7, 2009.

1. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I hope this is in the right place...

I had a channel cat take my hook, and I gave him too much slack, so he went into the nearby grass. He bent my hook out and got loose (I was using inadequate hooks, it won't happen again :wink:), but my spring float came loose. The only thing I can figure is that the line tension pushed the spring up and created enough of a gap for the line to come off, but I only had it come off that one time and caught more fish with it after that. Is this a common problem, or is there a certain way to put them on the line?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    If you are using it as a set float,slide the spring down put your line in the slot and wrap it around the shaft. Then back thou the slot and then release the spring. This way it will be double threaded thou the slot and they hardly ever come off that way.

If you are using it as a slip float then your best bet is to use a sinker slide on the line and hook your float to the S.S. This way any force from the line will be put on the S.S. and not the float spring.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009

3. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Thanks for the advice.

I went fishing yesterday and caught about 6 on spring float with no issues. I did notice that one time the rough edges on the bottom of the spring caused some abrasion in my line, so that's definitely something to look out for.