problem with s-10

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by catman37, Mar 25, 2009.

1. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i need help and maybe somebody out there knows why my truck is doing this.i just bought a 93 chevy s-10 and for some reason it will only start if you spray starter fluid down into the thottle body.when i crank the engine little to no gas sprays out the injecters,but after you spray the fluid in it it'll start up and run just fine.after it warms up it'll do just fine.you can shut it off,come back 5mins later,it'll kick over just fine,but after the motor cools down,it wont spray gas again until you spray the starter fluid in it,then it'll kick on and then the injecters will spray gas...so anybody have any ideas?

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I would perform a injector leakdown test.It sounds as if your losing all your built up fuel pressure over time.What motor are you working with?

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    the pump should prime every time you turn the key on... try turning the key on and waiting 10 seconds do that 3 times then try to start it... let me know what you get..

4. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Being that old there is a big problem with the in tank pumps, Not actually the pump but the rubber 1" long or so connector that attaches the fuel pump to the fuel line in the tank..This piece will develope a split in the side and the pump will have a difficult time priming in such a short time.

Picture a crack in the fuel line in the tank...Fuel pumps of that era on the chevys should dead head at 19-22 psi and with a crack the pressures i have seen are 3-9 psi and they create all kinds of shananigans,,,

People start replacing things that do not need replaced..Check line pressure first..This is easiest done at the filter in the frame...

Most filters need replaced anyway

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Easy on the starter fluid or you'll have bigger problems.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    ....unless its got a shrader style connect on top of the fuel rail.....not as familiar with the older ones, and he didn't specify an engine. I'm becomming all too familiar with my 98 4.3L s10.

I also agree with Mark, starting fluid is hard on engines.

7. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i forgot to mention its got a 2.8 6 cylinder with tbi fuel injection.ive turned the key to the on position without cranking it to let the fuel pressure build before starting it and you can hear the fuel entering the throttle body,but when you crank the engine it'll just drip a couple drops.

8. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    its either the pressure regulator in the throttle body or the the fuel pump leaking back, or the hose at the pump,i would try finding the fuel pump prime connector under the hood, usually on the drivers side, check with a test light and make sure it is getting its 2 second prime, you can also hook a fused 12 volts to the connector and let it run for 10 seconds or so and if it starts prolly going to be a fuel pump, they have an internal checkball that if it sticks all the fuel will drain back when it sets, hope this helps and where are you located in ohio ?

9. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks for all the help guys i'll try a few things you've suggested.the guy i bought it off of just replaced the in tank fuel pump,so thats what really puzzles me.

10. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    im in bellefontaine ohio.

11. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    sounds like these guys got you pretty well lined out , I think they are on =to something those were some of my suggestions , Good luck

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i got an idea, pop yer hood, take yer radiator cap off, and drive a FORD under it.:smile2::wink:

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    The sending unit in the fuel tanks on s 10s are known to go bad, changing the filter is a great idea, sending units will cost a pretty penny. Ben there and done it!

14. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Just beware that most parts sold now are defective ,,well for me about 70 percent of my stuff usually will be returned...I hate aftermarket replacement parts...

Any old pressure gauge and some fuel line and a couple of hose clamps, and you can check the pressure at the line going into the filter ,,,I am pretty sure there is not a valve to check that one...

the clamps that come with the new pump could have came loose,,,make sure your buddy used the new rubber also. and not the old one thinking it is fine....
    And yes there is a regulator in the injector throttle body it is a spring and diaphram...tell us when you fix it what you find

15. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    Toss the 4.3, and replace it with a 350 sbc. You will get better milage and reliability from it. There is an exaust kit to make it fit, your tranny will work, and I think the mounts are the same.

16. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    Toss the 4.3, and replace it with a 350 sbc. You will get better milage and reliability from it. There is an exaust kit to make it fit, your tranny will work, and I think the mounts are the same.

17. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Yeah, u'll have just another "etherhead" motor.

18. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I would love to, but that would cost even more than fixing what i've got. Stuck between a rock and a hard place. I need a truck and cant afford at this time to replace it. I also cant afford to keep putting 2000+ a year into fixing it.

I seriously doubt the 350 would make for better reliability (i CAN however believe better mileage). The 4.3 is basically just a 350 with 2 cylinders lopped off, and uses the same faulty intake/head gaskets. For that matter it uses the same crappy fuel injection and most of the other parts too.

19. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    wish you was closer id give you a hand checking it but im up north near mansfield, only get down there bout once a year

20. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have a 94 s-10 with a 4.3 v6, 4x4. All I can say is here is a list of everyting I had to replace and or rebuild. Upper & lower ball joints, Radiatior, starter, alternator, water pump, transmission was rebuilt, battery, driver side brake line, brakes front and rear-rear, new fuel tank and fuel pump, fuel filter, heater core and tires. The truck now sits most of the time and is only used to haul junk. I could not count on this vehicle on a day to day basis. I would encourage you to seek out a newer vehicle if all possible. This truck was the money pit and I will never own another s-10 again. I got a new dodge dakota quad cab 4x4 with a 4.7 v8. This truck is very nice, rides great, has extra room for passengers, pulls my boat well and last and most importantly I didnt see much change between the two in gas milage. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazy: