Problem with new motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Dave53, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Bob, As you may remember..I bought a 25 horse Mercury in mid-may.. The last three times we went out I have experienced the throttle sticking when I tried to gear down to neutral. Twice I had to push the button at the end of the tiller handle to kill the motor and then the handle would turn easily into neutral. It has a long rod from the handle that I thought might be sticking so I used a good silicone greese. It seemed to be okay but stuck twice the last time we went out. It doesn't do every time? The last time it did it on me I reved the motor up and when I turned the handle down it went down without me shutting off the motor. I know the motor is under warrantee but I didn't want to have to take it down there, drop it off, then drive my truck back later to pick it up.. Other than that the motor it great..love the fact that it is a 4 stroke. Have any ideas???

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'm not familiar enough with the 25 four strokemerc to recomend a fix. I suggest a call to your dealer and ask if there's anything you can do to correct the problem.

It does sound like something's wearing out. I've not come up with that problem on any of the other 25, 4 stroke models.

3. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Thanks Bob,,I was sure someone who had one of these might be having the same problem.. I'll give them a call but I just know they will tell me to bring it in.. thanks for you help.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Paul had a throttle problem last yr with his new 25 merc. We were at the Ga gathering and looked into it. He pryed and bent something under the cowling that fixed the problem. PM him and ask if he doesn't respond here.