Problem with my 6500c3

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by WaltonsMountain, Aug 28, 2009.

1. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Let me start off by saying that i'm new to baitcasters. I have a Abu 6500c3. Tonight, at the end of the trip I got a snag. I tightened up my drag and my clutch all the way and I was still getting line slippage. Eventually had to cut the line because I had no traction. Is there something wrong w/ my baitcaster or am I just missing something...? :tounge_out:

All help is much appreciated.

2. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    The drags on these reels are only and I may be wrong on the exact number but about 20 to 30 pounds. I have 20 of them and none of them will tighten to where you can't pull line straight off of them. You also don't want to store them for long periods of time with the drags tight as it doe damage to them.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Nope, it should slip. All the drags on the bait casters slip at some point. Its doesn't take many pound of pull to do it...I think its in 13# of I'm not mistaken...The record reel is 13.5 so its the same or close.

Its better on the rod/reel to break the line using a rod or like I do, a leather glove.

4. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    If you are using braid it might be slipping on the spool if you didn't back up your braid with mono or tape of something. Just something to check if you think it is slipping prematurely, the only reason I say this is it happened to me with my 6600 BCX with braid, didn't back it up and the braid was slipping on the spool bad until I took it all off and backed it up with some mono.

5. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

First off Steve is right about the braid. Are you using the Braid your beat me out of on Ebay :crazy:
    JK
    The 6500C3 max drag force is 15lbs.
    if you are using braid line I take a small pice of wood and put it in my box.
    This way I can wrap the line 5 or 6 times to pull it free. :wink:

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you are using a newer 6500 made since 2006 it will have the much improved carbon matrix drag..It will slip less when fully tightened down, but will slip.

I wont ever tightend my drag down so hard that it takes alot of efort to make it slip, it can ruin your drag washers...Dont use your drag to pull free from a snag..Wrap your line around a stick and pull it that way. or you will be needing a repair job..I have seen it happem.

Also rember to losen your drag after each trip, or the drag washers will flatten out causing it to slip.

I left a drag cranked down over winter one year when I forgot to losen it..next spring the drag would not hold at all, and I had to have the washers replaced.

I believe backing your drag off after fishing in the most important thing to make sure your drag will work properly.

Now backing it off after every trip if you fish several times a week, may be overkill, but I still do it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    The drag on the is no were near 30 pound's not even close.

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 6500c3's and I have never been able to tighten the drag down all the way to completely stop slips. Next time you are snagged pull out some extra line wrap it around the butt of your rod and pull it from there. You don't want to pull it out with your reel and rod anyway.

9. WaltonsMountain

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for giving me the heads up guys. Yeah, i'm using PP 65lb backed by mono so I know the line was dug in good enough. I didn't know about having to loosen the drag after you get done each time. Thanks a lot! Wouldn't want to ruin this baby....

10. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    I didn't have the specs in front of me, as I said I may be wrong, however I emailed abu this question and haven't got a responce yet.

11. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Ryan, you don't want to pull the line where it will cut into the wraps on the spool, when you try to throw, it will stop and snap your bait off or maybe even break your line.

12. WaltonsMountain

State:
    Nebraska
    Hey guys, just thought i'd give ya an update on my 6500c3. As you can tell from my new avatar had a good night last night! That larger one is a nice 8-10lb channel.

What a world of difference with baitcasters! Didn't even know what I was doing, then I saw the spool release and kept that engaged after the cast. Took up the slack, engaged the spool release and watch that 8lber take off!!! Pretty damn exciting and something you can't really do with the spinning outfits that I grew up with.

Still haven't messed with the baitclicker on the left side of the reel... are these useful?

13. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    They are very usefull though it takes some getting use to. It's mostly what you perfer, I always use mine unless the fish short strike.

14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    your going to want to use it, its a good way to let your line free spool and if a fish takes off you wont get backlash.

15. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    hell yes them bait clickers are nice:wink:, they will get you jumping when you hear them:smile2::smile2: i love to hear my reel talk DIRTY TO ME :smile2::smile2::smile2::cool2:

16. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

:eek:oooh::crazy:

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

17. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Your bait clicker has more function than just a sound. It also provides enough tension on your spool that you don't get a backlash when a fish goes running with your line when it is in free spool. Otherwise when a big fish hits it you will end up with a big birds nest if your in free spool. Just put your line in free spool turn on the clicker and wait till you hear that sound.