problem with hook ups on circles

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Bad_fisherman21, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i cant set the hook for nothin. i try to loose line...nope.try tight line...nope. on both i let the fish have it till they stoped bitting,and i tried to just pull up a little ....nope.
    can anyone tell me wth is going on here just cant get a hook up. PLz any help would be great

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    A wise man said "real men reel down" no wait that was me and i meant wise arse. Anyway i had a reputable fisherman try to teach me this spring to use them and it was a struggle. I caught some fish but due to the fact i wasn't use to fishing like that,,,i had trouble.Too many GOOD fishermen here swear by them so i ain't givin up yet.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    They can be frustrating to get accustomed to. Some circle hooks have a larger gap between the hook point and the shaft. Like the Team Catfish Double Action #8 hooks. These seem to work better.

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Your not the only one that has says that.

Ist one needs the right circle hook.

Then theres alot that u can not do.

Go to the Library plz and try finding "the problems with "J" Hooks".

I'm sure someone will help u here .

OPINION :wink:

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Ive found out that for me at least they don't work so well for the nibblers like channel cats are prone to do, Flats bite a bit funny sometimes also so Circles may not be the best for them either. The aggressive hits from Blue Cats seem to hook up very well. I love the circle hooks and will continue to use them but if the catfish are hitting lightly, or picking it up and dropping it be ready to re-tie and use a Kahle or J Hook.

My opinion for whats it's worth.

The circle hook most of the time lets you set out your rigs and forget about them until the fish is on. I personally use GamaKatsu 8/0 circles but wish I had a bigger hook that was available in my area.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i use gamakatsus. i havent had a problem with em. first of all, fiddlers wont get hooked on em cause their mouths are too small.
    you dont set the hook with circle hooks. you pick it up and reel it in. you cant get too jumpy with em. people who are used to regular hooks will try to yank the pole and that doesnt really work with circles. they work best when you are drifting. if your bank fishing with a circle, i think its best to tightline cause when they pick it up it digs into their lip and then when you start reeling, it sets the barb. i have caught way more fish with circle hooks than anything else.

7. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I personally won't use anything but a circle hook. If I am fishing on the bank or have my boat anchored, I just tight line my rig but keep a little slack in the line. I keep the reel engaged. Then, I just wait for the cat to bend the pole. He is hooked at that time. I never set the hook, it will just pull the hook out of his mouth. The cat sets the hook himself. When I am trolling, I just wait for the rod to bend, then reel him in. Any fish that doesn't take the bait and set the hook himself is almost always too small to get the hook into his mouth and is not the fish I want anyway. If I get too much of that, I move to another spot. I use gamakatsu #6 circle hooks. They work great, once a fish is hooked, they never fail. They always hook into the side of the mouth, they never gut hook.
    I think your problem is small cats, probably bullheads are nibbling on your bait. Find where the big ones are and circles will work great.

8. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    When the cats are aggresive the circle is the way to fly but if they are just playing with it go to something like a J hook or any of the others you are use to. The problem alot of people have is that you dont really set a circle you just reel it in.

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Use a smaller circle hook? Make sure that the barb is clear between the point and the shank. If it isn't, you may be in trouble and be unable to hook up.

Let the fish do all the work and hook themselves. Just sit back and drink a beer.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    To understand the circle put one between thumb and forefinger and jerk it like your setting the hook and it comes rite out, this is the same as trying to set a circle hook you can not set it . Now do it again and picture the fish swimming away with the hook in its mouth and as the line tights up the hook turns side ways and it's fish on. hope this helps you and good luck

Attached Files:

11. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL

Actually, I have had several channels get "gut hooked" with circle hooks. That is the exact reason I started using them, to avoid the gut hook problem. However, when the bite is on, they still swallow even a circle hook.

12. Bad_fisherman21

State:
    illinois
    if i used a smaller circle hook could i mabe nail them little fidlers that cant get hooked?

13. Bad_fisherman21

State:
    illinois
    haha only 14 man but i will when i get older. o yea and being "gut hooked" mean they swallow it and get hooked in the stomach? or hooked on the outside

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

If you are gut hooking with circles you need bigger circles. I use circles for bluegill too. I use a Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus Circle offset.

First as someone else said.... actually most of this has been covered I am just trying to put it together for you.

Baiting: Just put the bait through the corner of the bait. Fish are not afraid of a hook. The more exposed a hook is the better. I hook approximately 1 time throught the corner (1/8 inch max) of cut bait.

Rod holder: You need a rod holder with zero give. With my boat I use driftmasters. On shore I use the tall metal rod driven into the ground bent at the top to hold the reel.

Drag: Circle hook fishing is a reel drag..... sorry.... You MUST fish tightline (No line allowed out) you set your drag just so it doesn't break your weakest link (line, rod, rod holder, swivel). If you have a clicker use it or not, your preference.

The Bite: Leave it alone! If you don't know the fish isn't hooked.... it isn't time. When the rod is bowed, bouncing and straining, pick up and reel. As you get more advanced you can play with the techniques like reeling first. The reason for a loose drag other than equipment is that if you have a big enough fish with no line slippage, you will NOT be able to pick your rod up out of the holder.

The Bite 2: Soft biting fish, tentative taps, partial hits, cold weather fishing, etc.... are the bane of Circle hooks (Flatties and Channels). Like anything else they are a tool for a specific situation. With aggressive fish there is NOT a better hook. In the event of the above (non aggression) a J hook is a much better alternative.

Good Luck,

Shawn

15. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    If your fishing for channels, your hook may be too large. I use a size 3/0 or 4/0 mustad Demon circle hook when i'm chasing eater size channel cats. Y|ou want to keep your rod at the most 45 degrees and keep your line tight. Wait to pick it up until the rod is totally loaded up, you will know when he is hooked. Good luck and don't give up, believe it or not, They reallydo work. P.S. make sure you leave that hook point exposed!

16. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    You've gotten some great advise. I use circles all the time (8/0 - 10/0 +). I learned about them about five years ago here on the BOC. Keep trying them and take your time you will get the hang of it.

17. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis

18. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You might also consider using the lighest action rod you can get away with. Current will dictate this, however, i firmly believe that the more give to the rod the less pressure the fish will feel and hence you should hook up with more fish.

19. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Size hooks to size of fish after. Circle hooks, octupus hoos, keep the point clear, do not hide hook, fish do not care, use favorite bait and relax, reel down and quit jerkin.

20. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Size hooks to size of fish after. Circle hooks, octupus hoos, keep the point clear, do not hide hook, fish do not care, use favorite bait and relax, reel down and quit jerkin.[/quote]

I agree. 99% of my fishing is drifting with garlic salted shrimp. When I began being sure the point was clear of the bait my hookup increased considerable. My brother the die hard resists going to a circle hook. I usually outfish him........ someday he will learn.