problem with hook sets

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by crazyKat, Jul 30, 2009.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have been using number 7 eagle claw circles the last 6 nice big fish i have had hooked i am 1 for 6:angry: i have had them on the line for maybe 30 seconds to a minute then they just come off. anyone having this problem? is it bad luck? this is while drifting and strong take downs.

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    get away from the eagle claws and the 7/0 hooks go with an 8/0 or 10/0 gamma or diechi

3. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I agree with adam the 8/0 deep throat hood will deliver you

4. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    8/0 or 10/0 gama's are the way to go if you want to stick with circles.

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm curious how stiff are your rods? I have had trouble getting good hooksets while drifting using my heaviest rods with a very stiff tip because I set my drag pretty tight when I am drifting. I ended up adding more weight to that pole and put it on the holder at about a 20 degrees and it helped my hookup ratio with those rods.

6. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    its been on both my team catfish rods which are really light and my heavy rods. im talking tips of rod in the water just burried then they get off. i think im gna switch hooks i been having this problem with the eagle claws so i will switch. where is the best place to buy the ones u guys are talking about?

7. 1 4 Fishing

1 4 Fishing New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    you need to try team catfish hook 8/0 they work good they are the best hooks i use

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have my most solid hookup ratio drifting with Gamakatsu Octopus Circle in 8/0 but I would buy 10/0 if I could find them.

9. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Im getting ready to try some Team Catfish 8/0 Circle hooks that are wide gapped for bait holding and they will self hook if the fish pulls or you can hook with a slow steady sweep of the rod. I've heard nothing but good things about these hooks so hopefully I won't be let down. And since youve got the rods from them, why not give their hooks a shot?

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Switch to a good J hook and see if it changes,nothing to lose.:wink:

11. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    j hooks wont cut it for drifting....

12. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    jody its not your hook bud! your driftin into inactive fish, ive been pullin drifts for a long time and its been my experiance that there not biting because there hungry , there just mouthing it, (playin with it) as a reaction bite , just like every other preditor fish! you put it in there face and there instincts tell them to just react! not really wanting it, if you drift into some activer fish theyll take it!
    when i start gettin those slight bites, i move on to another spot to try and find the more active fish ! i know its tuff to leave a spot that your gettin bit in, but if your not hookin up, get out of there!

good luck

steveo'

13. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    steve i dnt know if this would be slight bites. im talking a big catmaxx rod line went slack like it brung the bait up then slammed straight down so hard i couldnt get the rod out of the holder. the tip was in the water and line going under the boat. i dnt know how it could have got much stronger of a bite. then when i manage to get the rod out i hook him and fight for a minute or so and it just lets go. i caught a 12 pound blue in same spot. u might be right but man it was aggressive. one of the stronger fish i have ever felt. stronger than any 30 or 40 i have caught. team catfish hooks are really expensive.

14. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yea steve it would have been hard for me to leave i fished 4 spots and these was the only hits i had. they all came from the same spot on the drift. soon as i went over it i knew i was gna get a take down and when i passed it nothing. then the storm blew in and old man river didnt give me a choice but to leave. but you might be right but man it has been happening alot here lately. thats the pic of the little 12 pounder

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  15. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well take it for what its worth! when im gettin bite like that and there not hookin up! homey be movin!

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    That's a bunch of you know what...... LOL. Ya gotta learn how to use them circles..no matter what circle you use.

He is getting short strikes and or mouthed...it aint necessarily the hooks fault. The fish are just holding or maybe even whisker hooked. Run a 2nd stinger hook if ya need, run a smaller hook and bait if needed( I had to do that this week and it worked ) and you'll get them fish. I run all Eagle claws and I'll fish side by side with anyone...anyone !!

It is NOT the hooks fault.

-Jim-

17. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Oh...and try slowing down your drift some ; )

-Jim-

Hang in there...you'll get it.

18. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i been using circles for 15 yrs with no problems. didnt know there was an art to using them. i dnt jerk the rod or set the hook i just start reeling. keeping pressure. im gonna try a diff hook and see what happens.

19. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    a 7/0 eagle claw has to small of a gap for fishing a big bait.. i have used the eagleclaw circles at one time and switched to some other styles with good results..

20. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    I guess I'm good with them because I match my hook size to the bait size.....even like you mentioned,,,try a 10/0. Using to small of a hook is hardly a reason to not use that brand ; ) I also dont know for sure he is even drifting with big baits...he never said so.

I will admit that I'm not throwing big baits,only up to 6" maybe...big don't work well here.