Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Problem with braid

4K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  Fishin_DaD 
#1 ·
I have just recently gave braid a try after a long time researching about it.

I like it a lot BTW but I am having problems with my weight fraying the line.

I was just wondering if y'all could maybe help me out with some suggestions to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance

#5 ·
A sinker slide or 3 way will solve your problem of line fraying. Either way will work when drifting/trolling. If anchored, a sinker slide will allow the catfish to swim away with your bait without feeling your weight. If anchor fishing for flatheads in thick cover, a three way will keep your live baitfish from swimming too far from the weight (possibly tangling line in stumps and branches). If anchor fishing in heavy current, a three way will also keep bait from moving too much and possibly getting snagged in rock crevasses. I prefer the sinker slides that have a plastic tube for the main line to go through instead of the sinker slides Ramon shows with the main line going through a metal eye. JMO

Auto part

#9 ·
A sinker slide or 3 way will solve your problem of line fraying. Either way will work when drifting/trolling. If anchored, a sinker slide will allow the catfish to swim away with your bait without feeling your weight. If anchor fishing for flatheads in thick cover, a three way will keep your live baitfish from swimming too far from the weight (possibly tangling line in stumps and branches). If anchor fishing in heavy current, a three way will also keep bait from moving too much and possibly getting snagged in rock crevasses. I prefer the sinker slides that have a plastic tube for the main line to go through instead of the sinker slides Ramon shows with the main line going through a metal eye. JMO
& nbsp;
View attachment 112558

yeah I used to use the plastic ones too until I started using 8oz, 10oz and bigger weights in super heavy current. My 80 and 100LB braid would cut right through the plastic slide. The metal ones are a little overkill but they are smooth and wont cut the braid.

#10 ·
When fishin 3way swivels do you run into problems with your drop line and hook line tangling up?

Sometimes. Rarely when drifting/trolling. When anchored, try to minimize your drop line length. But even when anchored using a sinker slide, the leader will sometimes tangle with the main line. The lighter (thinner) lines will tangle more easily than heavier lines, and braid will tangle easier than mono (stiffer).

#14 · (Edited)
also keep in mind when you encounter a line break if you get no swivle back then the knot failed you and braided line is as slippery as an eel so when you tie that improved cintch knot i add 3-5 extra twists to the braid befor cintching it down and always wet your line befor cintching the braided line tends to frey if tied with no spit or lube .. or even use the knot that is often on the back of the braied line's box i have lost many a big fish do to the braid slipping and the knot failing..

p.s when i tie the cintch knot with braid i leave an extra long tail so after i tie the knot i that that extra LONG TAIL and tie a few square knots in it hoping that if it slips at all it will catch the extra kots in the tail and not slide any more so far so good . and remeber to check your line after any stressfull situations [ big fish , snags any thing that micht frey the line with braid its a give n take relations ship you get super strength but it is easy to damage so gl . and sinker slides are some times hard to find at the bait shops, i have found them maily at salt water tackle shops .. or you can order from the sporting goods stores online.

also line breaks do happen and for me they happen way more with braided lines [ do to may things and most are oportor error such as not checking for freyed or damaged line , shotty knot tieing, or simply reeling in a big fish over a rocky bottom. if i am fishing a rocky area then i use a 3way swivle or extra long leader on my caralina rig hoping to keep the braid outa the rocks gl bud

#15 ·
I don't ever do much drifting/trolling. I fish rivers with low to moderate current with tons and tons of snags everywhere. I like both alternatives to the basic carolina rig next outing I think I am gonna try the 3way swivel method.

Thanx again

#16 ·
also keep in mind when you encounter a line break if you get no swivle back then the knot failed you and braided line is as slippery as an eel so when you tie that improved cintch knot i add 3-5 extra twists to the braid befor cintching it down and always wet your line befor cintching the braided line tends to frey if tied with no spit or lube .. or even use the knot that is often on the back of the braied line's box i have lost many a big fish do to the braid slipping and the knot failing..

p.s when i tie the cintch knot with braid i leave an extra long tail so after i tie the knot i that that extra LONG TAIL and tie a few square knots in it hoping that if it slips at all it will catch the extra kots in the tail and not slide any more so far so good . and remeber to check your line after any stressfull situations [ big fish , snags any thing that micht frey the line with braid its a give n take relations ship you get super strength but it is easy to damage so gl . and sinker slides are some times hard to find at the bait shops, i have found them maily at salt water tackle shops .. or you can order from the sporting goods stores online
I have never seen a sinker slide at any local bait shops. I was wondering how well the round flat sinkers hold compaired to tear drop(river sinkers)?

#18 ·
any will do just be sure to change the rod tip/top eye .. i use stainless solid eye tips found at the flea market .. anything other then a rounded metal or metal eye inserts will result in a sawing action going on and will cut threw the plastic eye and frey the heck outa you line. don't buy the berkly rod tip repair kit the glue they give you is ******** hot glue stick in a plastic holder LAME !!!! i was mad

also have you ever used a 3 way rig befor or do you know how to rig it up ... prolly do but i'll save my self a post ..

16-20 inch leader for the sinker and tie it to the lower most pointing eye of said 3 way swivle, [ i often use a weaker line then the one i usefor the main line or hook line] this allows me to only lose a sinker versus the whole rig just an idea i use hi dolla hooks this is why i changed it up a bit, then i cut a 4-6 inch peice of 30-50lb mono and tie my 6/o circle hook to one end and the other end to the side ways pointing eye of the swivle [the longer the hook line the more of a chance of tangles with the sinker line keep it short in cal waters and longer can be used in water wit heavy current ..or put a tiny crappie fishin bobber on the longer hook lines this will help keep the bait off you sinker line, then tie your braided line to the top eye of the swivle ... is more of a pain in the butt to use this rig but i am a beliver in it especialy in mud or grassy bottoms gl

#19 ·
if theres a heavy current then stay away from egg, tear drop any sinker that you think will roll . the pancake or no roll is your best bet and i learned to use HEAVY as in 50-80lb mono sinker line on the 3 way rig when casting any thing over 2 ounces.. that said if it takes you a 6ounch bank or egg sinker to hold the bottom odds are it will take less weight to hold the bottom useing a no roll or the pancake sinker or the SPUTNIK sinker if you have the extra bucks looks like a tear drop with flexable spikes built in to dig in and hold the bottom WAY BETTER

p.s festus got it on the money i wasn't sure if i could say the manes or not but you can get them there

#20 ·
I use roller tips on my rods,, It eliminates the friction problem, also, I don't use braid, but, the roller tips should do fine with it,, Their will be some concern about the line getting in between the roller and the body of the roller tip, but, If some consideration is given to the style of roller,, that issue becomes greatly reduced,, also, larger diameters of line, help prevent that..
The rollers do greatly reduce the friction on any type of line,, and give a very smooth feel, in landing a fish!!

#21 ·
80 & 100 lb braid? Have you ever had a fish break that? Do you use mono leader??

I have never fished current that required anything over 6oz weight.

What kind of rods stand up to the abuse of that heavy braid??
Yes I use 60LB & 80LB Mono leaders. No I havent had a fish snap either of the 80LB or 100LB PP. I have had my 60LB Mono Leader snapped twice. Each time I grabbed the rod and tried to slow the fish down (drag set properly and didnt try to muscle the fish) the fish just kept truckin, Once just snapped my Leader after the hook (teeth I guess) and the other time the fish snapped my H action rod and my 60LB BBG leader. I have since switched to 60LB leader only with 65LB PP, I use 80LB Sea Striker with my 80LB & 100LB PP now. The thickness of the braid isnt really much as 80LB Briad is the same diameter as 18LB Mono and 100LB is the same as 20LB Mono. I have all stainless eyes on my rods so braid does zero damage. My River Set-ups are as follows:

65LB PP
(5) MH 7'6" TWC Rods with 3 Abu 6500s, 1 Ming Yang CZH60, 1 Ming Yang CL60a

80LB PP
(2) MH 7' Tiger Rods with 2 Penn 320GT2s
(2) H 7'10 Quantum Big Cats with 2 Okuma 450Ls
(4) MH 8' Meat Hunter Supremes with 3 Ming Yang CL70s, 1 Abu 7000i

100LB PP
(2) H 8' James River Rods with 2 Penn 309Ms

#22 ·
Damn man I think you have more in your rods than I have in my boat. Hey if your gonna do it do it big... right?

I have had zero complaint about braid other than it fraying. I like how you can feel everything that fish is doing while he is struggling to get away.

I am using 40# PP with 30# Big Game leader, 7' Ugly Cats and Abu 6500's.

#23 ·
sounds like your fishing in the jungle which is my favorite flathead fishing habitat, heavy braid like 80 or 100 # test for a mainline is the ticket, then you can use a mono or flourocarbon leader in a lighter weight for your leader that way when you do snag up you never lose your mainline as that stuf can be expensive and is horrible to have a bunch of it lose in the water for you and others to snag up on. I use mainly no-rolls and "smooth out and open the end holes before stringing on the mainline, also using soft lead sinkers vs. hard lead sinkers will make a huge difference on line fray on braid.

#24 ·
Damn man I think you have more in your rods than I have in my boat. Hey if your gonna do it do it big... right?

I have had zero complaint about braid other than it fraying. I like how you can feel everything that fish is doing while he is struggling to get away.

I am using 40# PP with 30# Big Game leader, 7' Ugly Cats and Abu 6500's.
well I have 14 Rod Holders on the boat so those are my set-ups, I tell friends to bring theirs if they want but I try to make it where they just show up with beverage of choice and we just have fun. I learned so much from friends and guides here that I have picked up their habits lol. Now I dont know what to do with my 20+ bank rods/reels lol, Im saving them though, gotta have rods for each occassion, hell if I didnt buy all this tackle I'd have so much more money in the bank lol.

you are doing fine with what you have bro, those set ups are nice that you have. The only reason I went so much higher on braid is that where I fish with all the snags the 20-40LB PP would snap due to the smaller diameter, so I went a little higher and some of my reels are huge for freshwater standards so I figured might as well do heavy line. 40LB Mono is sufficient for just about any freshwater situation, I just like the piece of mind, strength, sensitivity, castability of braid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.