Problem w/90 hp Johnson OB

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bluecat69, Apr 28, 2009.

1. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I have a 2004 90hp Johnson Saltwater Edition 2 stroke 4 cyclinder o/b. I have a problem keeping it running after it has ran for a little bit (ie.. I run to my fishing spot anchor down then after about 30 minutes crank it back up). When I start it back up it will die once I apply the throttle. I can crank it back up and let it high idle for a few seconds then it will run good. It seems like it is getting too much fuel.
    I changed the plugs out back in February but it still continues to do this. I know it had water in the gas back in February but I drained the tank and also replaced the o-ring on the gas cap (which was causing the water in the gas).
    I am kind of lost as to what it might be and really don't have the money to have a shop look at it.
    The reason I think it might be getting too much gas is due to the fuel usage. It seems to be using a lot more gas than it did a year or two back.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It sounds like you need a carb rebuild. When you stop it loads the faulty carb up with fuel making it hard to start and run without increasing RPM'S for a few min. Buy you enough kits to do all carbs which will be gaskets and needle and seats. After soaking each carb and rebuild it should return to normal after a few adjustments. But the way it is its going to trash 1 or 2 cylinders with that lrich condition.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Usually when you just KNOW it can't be the carbs, it is. LOL Do as Bubbakat says and ye shall be rewarded by a sweet running engine.

4. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    BubbaKat and AwShucks, I really do appreciate it. I found the kits for $28 each and plan to get them Monday and start working on them. My concern is getting the 4 carbs running the same. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have a friend that is also. I called around the shops here and $330 was the lowest price I could find to rebuild them (thats not counting the kits).
    I will have a repair manual and take my time so all should work out fine.
    Is there a trick to getting them all in tune with each other? I know you guys have some tricks up your sleeves.
    Thanks in advance.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Take lots of pictures before and after and during the process. Take a marks alot and mark the throttle linkage and reinstall in the same place, Be sure to remove and reinstall the carbs back in the same order as they came off. If you hit a snag then stop and ask or read the manuel and look at the pictures

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    get out your digital camera and take a lot of picutres. If at all possible, only work on one carb at a time...even if it means it will take 4 days to get the job done. Haste definetly makes waste.

7. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Thanks guys. I will take tons of pics and already planned on doing one at a time. Gonna start on them on Monday so will let you know the progress and the out come.

8. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    So I rebuilt the carbs and did some minor adjustments but it still seems to be still loading up on fuel. Looking at the motor from the front, those two carbs on the left are loaded with more fuel (i can see fuel coming out of carbs after sitting for a few minutes). It is possible I did not do the adjustments right but I did follow what the book said.
    Think the powerhead is shot? I had one replaced about three years ago and I believe it is on the same side thats loading up.
    What would be the next step that I could do? I thought about taking in for a tune up and see what they say. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Mike

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Did you put in new needle and seats and blow all the inside out with compressed air or some carb cleaner to open all the little hole and crevises.

10. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Yes I did all those things. I used carb cleaner to blow them out good.
    I found this on the internet and was thinking it might be something that is worth looking into.
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=310335
    It talks about a similar problem that I am having.