problem setting posts

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by daniel-delarosa, Dec 15, 2007.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I'm trying to put up a chainlink fence for our new dog. I set the corner posts yesterday. I dry packed the posts with quikrete then topped the holes off with water. I went out this morning to take the dog to pee and I grabbed one of the posts and the concrete hadn't set up yet. It was misting outside when I set the posts, and it is again today. Is that why the concrete isn't setting up?

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    yep, it needs to cure for a while.happened to me as well when i decided to put up mine for my rotties, was kind of drizzling off and on tok a while.For the middle posts i just put a small block of wood on top of it & used a tee post driver to drive them in, then cut off the tops even so the top rail would be level!!

3. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    You dont have to use concrete for middle posts? I already bought enough to do all 40 posts:crazy:.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Your posts should be cured after 48 hrs ,you can use concrete on the line posts if you want ,I did ,but in a pinch I also have driven them in too. the main ones are the corner posts as they have the streach against them.from the netting.

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    what i did was drove the middle ones in & every fifth one or so put in a big corner post and cemented it in just to give more strength down the line, but i guess u can use the smaller ones & just cement those about every fifth one or so they will both work!!!that's just what i did so it would last longer(i think)

6. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I could be wrong, but I think part of your problem is the way you mixed the concrete. I've always mixed the quickcrete & water (with a mixer bit for a cordless drill) real good and poured it in the holes. Never poured the powder in and then the water. I believe not mixing it will cause it not to cure as good.

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree. I think if you mix it throughly and then pour it it the holes you'd get a faster set. I've never had mixed concrete not set by overnight...even if mixed on the wet side. Just my $.02. Good luck

mike

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm with the others... thoroughly mix the cement with water before putting in the post hole.

9. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I kinda thought the same thing. But many people told me dry packing is the best way to set a post because you can get the it level while you pack it and it will stay level without having to prop something against it.

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    dry packing works fine. There actually is enough moisture in the ground to set up the concrete. Pouring a little water on top helps too.

Not sure on the cure time but I set a post this way once and when I dug it out the next year it was solid concrete. Think it might take a couple days to set up good though.

The big thing is to make sure you dig beneath the frost line or they will eventually heave and your fence will be up and down all over the place. I would put concrete in every hole.

11. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have put hundreds of feet of wooden commercial grade 10 ft. tall privacy fence up using the dry method. Everything is solid as soon as the quick crete is poured in the hole. I never added water, the ground water gets it hard in time. That was using wood 6x6's for posts. Was nice cause you could put up the whole fence up in a day, no waiting for crete to dry.
    Now for round steel posts I would have pre-mixed the crete poured it in wet and let it set for a day.

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would like to add ,that I build steel buildings. And we ste 4 1/2" pipe poles for our barns with quickcrete,we set them 36" deep ,just fill the hole 1/3 full of water then slowly add the quickcerete. works great.