Probing/jigging river log jams in daylight.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by drpepper, Sep 17, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've not put too much effort into daytime flattie fishin' but what do you all think about trolling right up to log jams in the river and probing live bait around them... I mean,, getting right up in there and just lowering bait between logs, branches etc. Think the commotion would just spook them? How close with the boat do you get?
    I guess to make it simple, (lol) I'm looking for Good Ideas for fishing around and also probing deep into thick log jams day or night. and doing it without spooking the flatties and constantly getting hung up (if thats possible)

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    As long as you are in the wood, you have a good shot.
    My saying is "knock on wood" for daytime flatheads. Start the the front for active fish and if no bite move deeper into the snag. Or just multiple rods to cover the whole snag. I want my sinker to hit the wood and fall into the hole if possible.
    Daylight makes it much easier to get the bait exactly where you want it. Makes for some nice pictures too.:smile2:
    Smaller baits are working better for me and I have been catchin them from noon until midnight here lately.

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have caught many nice flatheads and some big channels fishing like that.. also try the same thing near barge tieoffs.. they usually have logs piled at the up stream side of them ..

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use the same technic as kyle and it works for me also

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    so how close is too close to avoid spooking? and what do you do to minimize hang-ups?

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i usually fish from the bank and if i hit the log jam i am nocking at there front door

i use 3 poles and hit the front the center and the back of the log jams to ensure i get there attention

as far as boats we get close to set lines and sometimes after dropping a bait down sometimes we have caught fish before we get away from the jam

as far as snagging sometimes i loose alot of hooks and sinkers in this fashion but it helps to put a float next to the hook
    and keep your line tight so youcan pull the fish away from the snag as fast as possible

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Let a No Roll sinker slide all the way down to the hook. Circles snag less than any other hook I have used for this technique.
    I wouldnt get the boat too close. Just close enough where you can get an accurate cast.
    Once he is hooked, you need to muscle him out NOW! Play him once he is free of cover.

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    So let me make sure I understand... you motor up to the log jam and set your bait into it or around it? and then motor away from the jam letting line out as you go? How far away then do you anchor?

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    excatly i also do this with one pole and another with a float

remember when you fished with me kyle the fish i caught was with the float next to the hook

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    we set lines in this fashion but the same technic can be used with a clothes pin just clothespin your line like a set line then pull away and wait i have used this technic before at night

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    oh yeah i forgot when we get close to a log jam we paddle the boat close as to not scare fish with the motor

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When you get time, I'd like to learn more on the exact way you do this... ie. where in the snag, how deep down, how you connect the clothes pin to the line and the branch! or maybe you know where this is already detailed out somewhere in the forum? Thank Gus

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    buy our video and you can have the knowledge we share and that has helped me catch alot of fish in the last 3 yrs:wink:

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL, are you serious? you have a.... who's video?:smile2:

15. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    http://www.megacatcrew.com/dvd.html yup in this one i am not in it but the one coming out next year i will be in

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well I'll be LOL! I've been debating in the High with a future catfishing moviestar.... I'll wait till the the next one with you in it comes out! Just be sure to include all the bloopers:wink:

17. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Great thread. Been thinking about the same thing.

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    pepper, as long as you get your bait in the wood your good. we anchor about 30yrds up river from a good jamb. toss in the baits one at shore one in the middle and one at the tip of the jamb. use cut too, a lot of times they are inactive and wont hit live as fast. use short leaders too in heavy cover, you wont get hung as much. if you use live make sure you have enough lead to hold the bait from swimming around and snagging you up!