probably a stupid question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by raiderhawk, Aug 5, 2009.

1. raiderhawk

raiderhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you are fishing off the bank in shallow water is it ok having the lantern going full, or will that spook the fish? Thanks

2. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    When I use a lantern its never an issue. Water depth being about 2 feet sometimes.

Oh and welcome to the BOC

3. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I sometimes turn it off, or just turn it down about half way... Depends on my mood/thoughts at the time. Sometimes I will just stand there and hold it up to see if there is even anything around, if not I might just move...

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I hate lights when I'm fishing..Draws to many bugs..Its not worth the aggravation to me..All I use is a lil caplight and glowsticks for my gear..

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    No such thing as a stupid question. Welcome to the BOC. That question will get you many different answers. Many here turn off their depth finders cuz they think it scares off big flatheads. Me, I drop 8 oz sinkers in the boat.... Personally I don't use light cuz of the bugs, but my catfish like old rock and roll. Catfish ain't trout. My real opinion is that if the water is clear, light might make a difference. How far away do you cast? I always thought it funny that bank fishermen cast out as far as they can, and boat people get as close to shore as they can.....

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    No such thing as a stupid question. Welcome to the BOC

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good question Mark. I prefer not to have any brighy lights unless fishing for crappie at night. Welcome to the BOC.

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    im a strong believer in no lights. The only time a light is on is our headlamp when we are getting bait or re-tying. A couple times we have hit fish and had somebody show up with lanterns. Soon after the flathead bite stopped

9. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Welcome to the boc, no stupid question's, i always use the Dimm light on my light, keeps less bugs around, if your not pointing light right at/in the water it shouldnt spook em thats just my experience with channel cats.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mark Welcome to the BOC. There are no stupid questions. The light will not hender your fishing. If you need it use it.:0a18::0a25:

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We always have lanterns on and bon fires and it never seems to bother the fish.

12. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I dont believe light would effect the fishing,but use it when you need it and then dim it to keep your night vision.And welcome to the Boc.

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Welcome to the BOC Mark.Some people swear no light,others gonna say it don,t matter.I personally usually always got the lantern burning at night,I do keep a reflecter shield on it to keep the light out of my eyes and keep my night vision.I,m fishing fairly colored water most of the time and my baits are usually 20 yds or so from the light,shallower and clear water,I may take a different approach.One good thing I,ve found in the river is that the gar come towards the lantern and stay away from my baits.:wink:

14. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I might just be anal about this BUT i never bring lanterns anymore. After fishing with some guys from here the last 6months i realize i seem to catch more weather thats coincidence or not i dont know but i would like to think it makes a difference. Plus i hate all the bugs they draw in. Seems to me my headlights work just as convenient and are easier to transport to the waterway.

15. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Not only will that help you see.. it'll attract baitfish in return cats will come in eventually.:tounge_out:

16. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I never use one I usually use just my headlamp one because it draws to many bug and two I don't think flatheads like light. I've seen a few times when somebody will have a nice one hooked and another person will shine a light on it to check the size and it goes nutts!! I'm not 100% sure to the truth of it but I figured since they're nocturnal feeders it has to have some truth to it.