ProAngler Tackle Cat Rods & Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FishBrew, Jan 22, 2007.

1. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Probably should say upfront, I do not get any endorsements, sponsorship, money, freebies, or anything else from ProAngler (proanglertackle.com) or their staff. Just looking at, the rod and reel appear designed to handle the majority of catfishing situations. A very solid, reliable set up for the boat or bank angler. If you prefer 10 foot or longer rods or spining reels, this is not your bag.

The Rod: 7.5 foot, medium heavy, 12 titanium guides, last foot is bright yellow. See picture. I have limited experience with the rod as it just came out. It feels good in your hands, cast great, plenty sensitive, solid hook set ability. I have drifted with it and used it with clickers. Fishing from boat in a lake, 2 oz. weight is the heaviest I've used, 3/4 oz the lightest. Able to cast with either. Stamped on the rod it says 15 - 30 lbs test. I have the Eva handle $35.00, cork available at $38.00. I like the rod so much I've bought a total of three so far.

The Reel (baitcaster): I have more experience with the reels. The new version that is currently available has made two imporvements that I really like and thought it needed. The "old" (last year) had some slack before the anti reverse would kick in, now it is instant. Much better now. Also, I also was not wild about the clicker button itself, it came to a rounded point. The clicker worked great, just turning the clicker on and off was a bit more of a chore than I thought it needed to be. The new version has larger button that slides up and down to engage/disengage the clicker. Much better (see pictures). The new reel retains some very nice qualities that I like about last years version; familiar baitcaster design inside and out, not big or bulky but very sturdy (steel/metal components), excellent drag system, metal clicker (loud), the break system, and the price. Last check, the price was $55.00. Its hard to beat for an all purpose baitcaster that is pretty much bullet proof when using 30 pound or less mainline.

The complete combo burns less than $100.00 and it makes a very good cat/striper machine.

Attached Files:

2. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    pictures of reel ...

Attached Files:

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like the way the end of the rod is done, I bet that thing lights up under low light conditions.

4. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    that baitcaster look nice and I like that end of the rod. It's helping to see in night as much.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Are u sure that reel will hold up? I dont like to buy none name brand reels, I learn my lesson about buying cheap reels lol.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Just one problem. The handle is on the wrong side of the reel. LOL!

7. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    These reels stay on more than one catfish/striper guides boat in this area, probably gets fished twice a week, over 40 weeks of the year, by experienced and inexpereinced anglers, landed no less than a few thousand cats per year, many in the 20 - 50 lbs range. Those reels see more action in a year than most folks can put on them in 5 - 10 years. I've owned the over $100 reels, took them apart, cleaned them, replaced plastic parts, etc. About a year ago I saw one of these taken apart being cleaned, greased. That's all I needed to see. Nothing is plastic on the inside or outside. Cheap is not in the price, but how something is made.

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    the reel looks alot like an abu.
    where did u find these?

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ok, if they work for u. Then thats great, but I pefer name brand.

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    the reel looks nice to me. what model number is the one in the pic and is there a bigger one? also how much 30# mono test will it hold, and where can i look to purchase one of these? sounds like a great deal to me............

11. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I "found" them in a guides boat about a year or so ago at the boat ramp. Waiting to launch I walked up to a known local guide to have a chat and looked down into his boat and saw them on about 20 cat rods. I asked about them. Basically a group of local guides (catfish, striper, and crappie) were having rods and reels made because they got tired of going through the over $100 a piece store bought reels like they were butter ... can get expensive for guides using them in bulk. I just figured they were made for the guides only. About a month later, pulled up to the bank to stretch the legs and saw a bank fisherman using several of them. Come to find out, the guides were selling them as well as using them. I did some research, asked some local guys about it, and several started pulling the dang things out of their boats and showing them to me. Some you could tell had a ton of mileage and abuse on them but they still worked. As I posted earlier, I did have some minor issues with a couple things on last years model, but not the new ones. Brand is ProAngler Tackle. My other "brand" names have not been in the boat since. http://www.proanglertackle.com/

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    looks good to me i might try one next time im in the market for a new rig

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Have 2 of these reels and used them last season, never a problem. To me they are just 6500's with a better clicker system(metal not plastic) and a wood knob handle. Drag feels smooth but doubt it's the new carbon matrix that is available on the new Abu's, these reels also employee the older Abu bearing system..........not free floating in the spool. Feel the Abu's are smoother, but am totally satisfied with the quality of the ProAngler reels.........especially at that price point. If a 6500 C3 will satisfy your catfishing needs, then so will these.

14. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

I'm with you on this one CJ. I've seen those R & R's,if you put them next to the ABU's I have they don't even come close to my ABU rods.

As far as the reels go show me one that's 20-30 years old and and still working like my vintage ABU's,then I'll buy one.

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I've been raving about the reels on here for the last year or so...

I have 3 of them... Ed upgraded my first two for FREE!! after his design changes...

Compared to MY ABU, these are much smoother... Just do a search on here for PATC50, should be able to find some of my old posts about them....

As far as holding, I've put alot of miles on mine.. Also, there not 1 !!!! plastic part in the reel....

16. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    thanks for the link, im gonna take adavantage of the deal for sure. I think it would be a deadly combo on a catmaxx 9 footer. I'm gonna buy one and if I'm happy I will get more. There is also a link on the site where you can buy 50 - 2oz no roll sinkers for $13.............Thanks again buddy

17. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was going to buy a case of these to resell but my thread got deleted. I talked to the guy on the phone and when the time comes to switch out my tackle it will be with these. These bad boys will take any abuse you can give them. The metal gears are especially nice. As far as letting you see one 20-30 years old good luck! I don't think they have been making them that long.

18. brent

brent New Member

State:
    texas
    i have some of these reels and several abu's. it's all personal preference. but i tell you the rods they have are the best on the market in the 7-8' range. i have 10 of them.

19. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    I just called Ed and purchased one of these baitcasters, from what i've heard so far they seem like a steal. The guides up there stritcly use these reels for cats and stripers and swear by them. Once i get mine and catch a few nice cats on it i will let you guys know how i feel about it. I surely feel like i will have this reel for a long time and it probably won't be my last one i purchase. If your in the market for a quality mid-sized baitcaster i would give Ed a call.