ProAngler Cat rods vs White Ugly Stik Cat rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by kyelkhunter3006, Mar 16, 2008.

1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Can anyone offer a comparison between these two rods? I've got a couple of the Ugly Stik Cat rods, 7' MH and am wondering if the ProAngler rods are a bit stouter/stiffer action-wise. The line ratings are the same, but there's no mention of the lure rating on the ProAngler website. I'm looking for a couple of rods to put some Garcia 7000 Narrow spool reels on, but I want a bit more rod than the Ugly cat for them. Anyone use the ProAngler rods with 4oz weights or heavier?

Thanks!

Chris

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    First of all, welcome to the BOC Chris!!!
    I have had a couple of those white uglystick cat rods in the past and found them to be lacking in backbone. I have never had one of the Proangler rods so I can't really pass judgement on them. Someone will be along that knows about them shortly, sorry i couldn't help you more.

3. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I have several of both. I like both, but if I had to choose 1 it would be the Proangler.

4. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    How's the action compare? is it an overall stiffer rod? Or is it faster in the tip than the Ugly? What # line do you use, reel, etc. Do you use it with live bait, cut bait, or both? I'm looking for something that's general purpose, capable of handling a few oz of lead and a big chunk of cut bait, or some live bait like a 5" goldfish, sunfish, etc. Thanks!!!

5. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    The Proangler tips are not as fast as the Ugly stick, but I think that the overall action is a little better. The Proangler is heaver than the Ugly stick. That is partly due to the # of guides and underwraps. The Proangler casts better that the Ugly stick.

I use Abu Garcia reels with 65# power Pro main line. I usually use cut shad,buffalo, and drum for bait. Every now and then I use live bait.

The fish in my avatar was caught with a Proangler in heavy cover with no problems.

I think that either rod will do what you want.

6. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC! I have several of the ugly stik cat rods and like them! They are light and will handle a 40lb blue with NO trouble in ROUGH 10oz current! I have since gone too heavier rods for bigger weights and swifter current(anchor fishing), but use the ugly stik's for drift fishing with 3-5oz.:wink:

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the site but i've not used either rod so zilch for my opinion there.:eek:oooh:

8. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Thanks for the warm welcomes guys! Years ago, when I was free (no wife, no kids, have both now, and I couldn't imagine it any other way, LOL), I was a pretty diehard catfisher. If I could only break the 20lb mark! I've got 20 flatheads, 20lb blues, and a 20lb channel cat. Hooked a couple of flats that were much bigger before I had the right gear and got my butt kicked. Had the saltwater boat rods, then the E-Cat rods, 6500 and 7000 reels, you know what I mean. The selection back then was minimal compared to what we have now. I've got a couple of the white Ugly sticks with smaller casting reels and 20lb line that I use when I'm just bumming around, lakes, ponds, and such, not really targeting the big ones, but ready just in case. Most of the ponds and smaller lakes have the chance for 20lbers or a bit more. The local rivers have the chance for much bigger than that.

Now the kids are a bit older and they like to catch "big old brown catfish", as my 8 yr old put it one time. The kids aren't ready for the all-nighters yet, but I've got the time and the means to devote to the hunt for bigger fish and I'm re-gearing for them. Thos ProAngler's look great, but I didn't want to go to the trouble of ordering a couple and finding out they were just like the Ugly's that I can get locally for $30.

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Never used a ProAngler, but have one white Ugly Stik Catfish. I had trouble with the guides being weak and bending. Also, if you fish in current, the rod tip is sensitive and will be moving alot.

Have you checked out the Ugly Stik tigers? Nothing but glowing reviews from my end.