Pro Cat?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Sean, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just ordered 4 spools, 2 of 20lb and 2 of 30lb from CC. It's dirt cheap, 2.60 for 330 yards of 20 lb and 300 yards of 30. It's made by American Premier and I like their poles so I figured for the price it was worth a shot. Anyone else used this line? If so how does it hold up?

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well, I cant say for sure, so some of the other brothers will have to back me up, but on the other board someone posted that the pro cat line isnt very good line at all. It is supposed to be a very weak line, from what they said. :0a26:

3. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    D'oh!

Well it was cheap enough that if it's really bad I don't feel like I lost too much. Plus I gave CC a little business so no harm no foul.

Any other opinions?

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    im confused. i started the pro cat line thread on the old fourum. i don't rem the weak posts. i used it and still have some on a few baitcasters. its high vis green yellow and i would compare the line to stren high impact. i had 30# test and on my 6500's i was stopping my twin console 17' fish and ski alum boat with a 50 hp motor and reeling my way back to the snag. and in most cases had to use a knife to free it so i wouldn't spin the boat around and tangle lines. i put it to the drifting test and will and am going to use it again. try it for yourself. at $2.60 a roll i would trust it for and will use it to flathead fish. the 30 # 3 rolls i had were great and i have no doughts using it.

a buddy of mine got some 20 and 30# too while we were there and he will say the same. you shouldn't be dissapointed. only reason it ain't on all my reels now at that price is cause i got 6 spools of 400+ yard stren high impact last year on clearence at wally mart for $1 a spool.

try it when ya get it. take out a 2 foot peice of the 30# and wrap it around each hand and pull. i bet ya will be back to post its tough. please let us know. im going down to cat connection sat to get a new set up. i am gonna grab some while im there. im only 50 min from pana where there located.

5. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, I spooled it on my 7000c3 (20lb) and on my penn209m (30lb), I haven't caught any big fish with it yet though. But I had a heck of a time getting it out of a few snags and had to cut the line. It casts well and has low memory so I'm happy at the price I paid for it. I got the green and it shows up great under a black light, thumbs up from me and I will buy it again. :cool:

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    pretty much what i thought. i like it. i think the 30# would bring in any fish that 30# stren high impact would.

7. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    i used the 40# pro cat for leaders on my smaller outfits and after fishing with it for a while i started using the stuff on my larger flat head outfits.it really is good line for the price in my opinion....its not as abrasion resistant as i would like it to be but for like 3 bucks a spool ill gladley change my leaders when needed.so far i have never had a leader made from this stuff break,always the main line.if it came in larger spools i would spool my reels with it.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great advice. Thanks guys. I think I will be placing on order from CC soon, I may have to pick up a spool.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Click here to see the reviews on the old board.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thanks brian. i was pretty sure i started the thread on there. i still have it on a couple reels and had no problems with it as far as line breaks. hauled in some 12-13# ers this spring before i respooled with some stren high impact i got for a $1 a spool on clearence last fall. getting ready to order from cat conn and there are a couple spools of this on the form.