PRO CAT LINE

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by brinley45cal, Aug 21, 2009.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Anyone ever try that pro cat line? its the same folks that make the American spirit nite sticks.im curious to know if its any count.Any thoughts comments etc?

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I gave a spool of the 20lb line a test run earlier this year. It's a very hard line, should have great abrasion resistance, I mean, it just "feels" tough. Being a hard line, it's stiff and you're going to deal with some memory. It's every bit as wiry as Cajun Red, if not worse. I used it on spinning gear (my preferred gear) and I don't recommend it for that application. It should be fine on a baitcaster. It doesn't "glow" green like Trilene or Ande does. It does have better visibility than a clear or low-vis green line, but it doesn't seem to be flourescent by any means. It's not a bad color really, kind of splts the difference between hi-vis and low-vis.

If it's the only line you can get, ok. It is cheap line, but you get a decent deal for it. A filler spool like the other companies use that has 250-300yds of 20lb line on, comes with 420yds in the ProCat package. It's not because the line it thinner, they just pack the spool completely full. I'd use it before I'd use Cajun (ugh), Eagle Claw, or any of the other cheaper bullk spooled line. You just have to remember, it's not Trilene or Stren, or any of the other "branded" lines.

3. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    thanks for the info brother.I ordered some nite sticks and they sent me a free spool of 30# test.by the way they were the wrong action rods,and were missing the ceramic inserts in the rod eyes,not very happy right now.:angry:

4. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    That's how I got the 20lb line. I ordered a bunch of stuff back when the Insider deal first came out. They didn't mess up my order though, and there was no damage to the gear. I actually ended up selling the stuff before I used it, as I decided to go a different route and use spinning gear instead of casting gear for most of my outfits.

I have a lot of people that go with me, but most of them (95%) haven't used casting gear before, and I learned a long time ago that I can just hand someone a spinning rod and with a little quick lesson, have them fishing reasonably well. I can also untangle spinning gear faster than casting gear when someone messes it up.

5. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I have some 20#. Don't use it anymore, but do recall it having lots of Memory.........lots of memory.

6. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    thats what i was affraid of oh well it was free so it wasnt anything out of my pocket lol

7. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I got some with a order too, earlier this year. 60# I believe. I used it for a shock leader and thats about it. However it did come in handy makeing trellace for my plants that like to vine. Its been out in the sun since spring and its not brittle yet. I think ill stick to braid, lol.

8. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    fishing line's gets rebranded under a few different names. Many people buy it under these different brand names and are not any wiser.

Companies will diversify this way to reduce risk, and move more product.

You dont like "Whisker Sticker Ultra Line" in Orange?

We would recommend that you buy "Ultimate Fish Catcher Line" in Red by another company.

Of course they supply both product feeds.

Many rod lines are like this also..

Most are decent products for the cost..

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  9. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    hey paul you ever tried the pro cat line? cant find to many people who have it seems.

10. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Not personally I am afraid.

Line is about like any other form of terminal tackle.

Look enough, you will find fans for it and people who dont like it.

Some of which is just purely marketing.

Heck, some of the better tournament fishermen I know get their,"product" of the Walmart shelf, the Ole Special Line.. :smile2:

> Steve and others.. :crazy:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  11. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    lol well ok couldnt hurt to give it a try then,thanks for the info:wink:

12. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ive used it got it with some rods i had 25# it seemed ok

13. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

THATS HORRIBLE :crazy: THATS TRULY LIKE BEING KICKED WHEN UR DOWN.....LIKE REALLY DOWN.....:smile2:

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Did you contact American Spirit and ask what they were going to do about the rods? Doggone it they ought to pay shipping both ways on your return. I feel like they will, as they were very nice to me on the phone when I ordered my 10 Nite Sticks.

Bill in SC

15. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    yeah i had a lengthy conversation with the folks at american premier and heres the scoop,and you might want to pass this on.
    #1 the yellow baitcasting rods DO NOT come with ceramic inserts or any inserts for that matter only the spin cast.now the other models do the red and blue ones.
    #2 The catfish pro rods have the inserts but they are now making them without the inserts in the eye at the tip,so after the others are gone thats it.
    #3I found a mistake in there system and found that there rods are LABELED Wrong at least the 8 footers are.Lets say you order an 8 foot medium acton rod.Well what your going to get is an 8 foot med/hvy with the code for the medium action rod on it.it appears at least every 8 footer in the factory is like that.
    #4 They dont make 8 foot medium action rods! ALL 8 foot rods are med/hvy if you want a medium action you have to go down to like a 7 footer and those only come in a 1 piece rod.
    so as you can see its a big screw up,they said they were going to have to go thrugh every rod in the factory now to make sure it is what it says it is because its been labeled wrong for SEVERAL YEARS. And for my help i get a hat and t-shirt lol. so there ya go boys and girls.there great rods just make sure you know what your getting.

16. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Mike Roe at American is a good person to talk with. I'm assuming that's who you talked too. A stainless tip on any rod that's used with heavy sinkers is a good idea.

I've seen lots of tips cracked because the sinker was cranked hard and fast up against it. Tips tend to flop around too, smacking stuff, so a tip with no insert is the most durable way to go.

Most people don't check their gear before they hit the water, so you take away one thing that might go wrong. :wink:

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a american spirt with a so called stainless tip, believe me it is not stainless, because with just a few trips I wore heavy grooves in it, using 20-lb mono.

I like the rods, I have many, but dont buy one with a so called stainles tip..the ones with the creramic tip guides are fine.

18. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    then you dont want the yellow casting rods cause none of the rod eyes come with inserts,only the spinning.Why i do not know.they take the as you say stainless guides paint them black and put them on the yellow casting rods. and the pro series gets the inserts but not the tip. but the classic ones stay the same. so its a mess over there at the moment but i think there working on it.lol

19. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I am currently running Pro Cat line on my gear. I was curious, and it was real cheap. I think the spool was 450yds, for less than $5. I got it in #20.

The memory is really bad. As mentioned earlier, the so-called hi vis, is not very visable at all...at least at night. However, it has been a fairly decent line, if you can get past those things. It seems tough and it hasn't been too bad in casting either.

My normal line choice is Trilene, and when this runs it's course, I will go back to that. This is just a test. Overall, I would say it's not bad at all, especially if you are on a tight budget. You get more line at a lesser cost.

20. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I recently bought a 7' Med nightstick and it has an insert in the tip top guide. I only used it once to check it out and it worked nicey. A little whippy in the tip but not bad considering it's a medium action. I'd like a better reel seat and trigger but they also work alright. One thing that is a waste, on mine, is the glow tip section. You couldn't make this glow unless you light it on fire. I plan on putting some flourecent tape or paint at the end so it is visable with my black light.
    Overall, th rod was worth the cost.
    I got a spool of 30# Pro Cat line, in Hi-Vis Green, with the rod but haven't tried it yet.